HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+16
jd7
THATDUDERIGHTTHERE
we.not.me
frank543
originalchild
JackieMoon
azn_hobo
knowthegame
bruins
Tila_Tequila
unknownballer
Peel Fan
rec
Respect
TAJ
panathas
20 posters

AA OFSAA RESULTS

jd7
    Freshman

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2009-03-12

AA OFSAA RESULTS - Page 3 Empty Re: AA OFSAA RESULTS

Post by jd7 Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Big kid
    THATDUDERIGHTTHERE
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4

Post by THATDUDERIGHTTHERE Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:47 pm

Your missing the point Parkside is just as bad as George Harvey, starting fights is not part of the game and neither is attempting to injure players successful or lackluster. You seem to have an issue with Westminster seen on here and on Hooplife.ca. It's dirty of # 41 on G-harvey to injure the Parkside big man but you make no comment on Parkside's attempting injuring(several times by # 34(who received 3 warnings for his actions)) of a definite CIS-bound Dejan Kravic, if not going down south to play ball. So what is it JD7? WHat do you have against West, because clearly you have an affiliation even thoguh you claim none.
    jd7
    Freshman

Post by jd7 Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:33 am

No I am not missing any point here. I do not equate scrapping to the ground for the ball and agressive rebounding or even reaching in and causing contact and knocking the player down with the usual foul called as being dirty and intentionally attempting injury.
    I'm not sure of the 3 warnings you mentioned that the player received but if they were deliberate attempts to injure, would the officials not have given fouls for those actions? One would think so, if they were indeed that dirty.
    I think in this case, had any injury occurred, it was in the course of the game and not a deliberate act to injure.
    I have watched enough basketball to tell the difference.
    There is no issue with Westminster at all on my part. I did not observe any fights. There is always the banter, or "chirping" but that does not cause injury.
    Westminster played well and were as agressive as they needed to be to win. There is no issue with the Timmins High team either as they played hard and aggressive as well.

A kick to the knee is dirty....there is no arguement there....
    An injury caused by such an action is tragic....
    Cheering on a players injury is unsportsmanlike and unacceptable behaviour...there is no arguement there...period.
    These are indisputable facts that had occurred, with witnesses.
    What more is there to discuss? Please let it end here and those responsible accept that it is not to be tolerated and allowed to continue.
    rec
    Freshman

Number of posts : 189
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by rec Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks JD7. Someone who was there can provide the best perspective.

I am disturbed by the comments justifying the aggression. Is it really possible thatdudewhatever, you believe this player deserved to be intentionally hurt?
    If you (or anyone else for that matter) do, please do not set foot on any field, rink or court in the future. You are not an athlete and you do not belong in any sports.
    THATDUDERIGHTTHERE
    Freshman

Post by THATDUDERIGHTTHERE Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 am

NO they were clear attempts at injury, had 34 known how to injure they would have been successfull, 1 of the attempts 34 dove at 32's knee's on a dunk attempt, if that is not dirty then I don't know what is. You are the one clearly justifying the actions of other's because of your dislike for Westminister, What about Ali Haider's attempts at injruing Dejan Kravic- Why haven't you mentioned those?
    I rest my case, you are obvuosly biased and are attempting to play semantics with me which I find quite ignorant and insulting.
    THATDUDERIGHTTHERE
    Freshman

Post by THATDUDERIGHTTHERE Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 pm

And also when the two Parkside players were hurt againt Timmins they ran into each other, that would explain any laughter form anybody, it was not directed at the injury itself.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:37 pm

I want to make some comments and suggestions based on "what if's". I obviously was not at the tournament but I want to put down some opinions that I have "If" what has been put down is true. I don't want threats from "azn_hobo" as I am not accussing anybody.
    1) A few years back, Birchmount Park's hockey team behaved like morons at OFSAA in Fort Frances. They were punished by their own school's administration along with additional sanctions from OFSAA. This included not being allowed to participate in the following year's OFSAA championship even if they qualified. It was a bold and proper move by the school to show that this kind of behaviour would not be tolerated.
    If George Harvey's players behaved and conducted themselves in a threatening and boorish manner as portrayed on here, then they should be punished. If the player made a clear attempt to injure then he should be punished. If a parent of a kid was threatened then there should be punishment. The Birchmount Park situation did not involve threats of violence or confrontations of other individuals, it involved distruction of property yet there were severe punishments against the hockey team as a whole.
    Keep in mind my opinion is based on "IF" these events did occur.

2) This season, Pickerings Senior Boys Basketball Coach was sanctioned with a one year suspension from coaching along with probationary conditions after that for bringing two ineligible players to a tournament to the United States. Again, no violence or threats were involved by the coach yet OFSAA made and handed down a severe punishment. The players had zero to little involvement yet were also punished by OFSAA until a ruling overturned that decision.
    I am reading that the George Harvey coach's behaviour was threatening and confrontational. Our main responsibility as coaches is to ensure a safe environment for our kids. This is our responsibility. Is this considered ensuring a safe environment for the kids? Doesn't seem like it. In my opinion, if the coach behaved as badly as protrayed then he must be punished, just like Pickerings coach was.
    Again, my opinion is based on "IF" these events did occur.

3) The crowd and community of Timmins has in the past be cited for bad behaviour at other sanctioned events. It is the responsibility of the committee, school, teachers, administration and community to ensure a safe environment and not tolerate boorish or racists behaviour by its community.
    Once again, Timmins as a host has come into question. If this is not the first time that the City has behaved improperly then it is time that OFSAA punishes and bans all OFSAA sanctioned events from being held in that city for at least two years.
    This is based on "IF" the events and behaviours are confirmed.

In all, OFSAA must do a thorough, professional and fair investigation promptly into this matter. All parties involved must be interviewed in a fair and mature manner. There should not be a lesser respect of the George Harvey players just because they are kids. Their inputs must be taken as seriously as any adult interviewed. Many adults can, have and will behave less mature than kids so this must be treated fairly. There also must have been unbias OFSAA representatives present at the tournament that are not from the Timmins region who can give an honest and fair report of what happened.
    On top of that, the webcast becomes an important piece of evidence and must be thoroughly watched over and over again to get every point straight.
    I want to point out one thing in defence of the George Harvey players. They are kids and kids make mistakes. Think about what goes through a young kid's mind when they are in a town for which they are unfamiliar and nowhere near home. They become scared and intimidated and sometimes feel as though they have to stand up for themselves. I cannot imagine the unsafe feeling as a coach, if I felt my kids safety along with my own was threatened and I am in a place for which I am unfamiliar. If these kids were getting confronted by fans from the community then let's take a step back and come to an understanding. Also, as a coach, I get a very close relationship with my players and I will come to their defence. It is like the Mama bear and her cubs. If Mama bear feels that somebody is threatening or hurting her cubs, she becomes defensive quickly.
    Again, this is "If" this happened.
    On the other hand, as a coach I would not tolerate an intent to injure and if the player disobeyed what I teach as a coach then I have to look at the situation in a different light. Would things have escalated if the one situation didn't happen? I also have to look myself in the mirror and ask "Did I do the Right Thing?". I am representing the school and the parents of those kids are putting full trust in me to take care of their loved ones. I cannot embarrass myself by confronting and chasing down parents of a kid whom my team just injured.

This is just my opinions on what I feel should happen "IF" the situations happened as explained. I am sure that "azn_hobo" can clearly read that I am giving a fair assessment on both ends of the fence, so I do not expect you to tell me to go fly a kite, to put it mildly. I am looking forward to the opinions expressed on what I wrote whether you all agree with them or not.
    No matter what is done, this is a black eye on Ontario basketball and took away what I thought was the biggest positive story out of Timmins. That was, the crowning of STA as OFSAA champs. I want to make sure this group of young men and their coaching staff receives the acknowledgment they deserve. I am very proud of you guys for winning the championship and representing GTA basketball with pride, dignity, professionalism and grace. Please everybody, let's not forget about this.
    I will be glued to my monitor to see how OFSAA, TDSB, George Harvey and Timmins deals with this matter.

Last edited by wcbasketball on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jd7
    Freshman

Post by jd7 Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm

wcbasketball all valid points made.
    Some of the defence of Harvey players can also be applied to Parkside as well. I have watched the games. I observed the anti-Parkside bias in the first game against Ottawa's Ridgemount team. Ottawa did not have any of their own fans there, the cheering for them and none for Parkside, came from the Timmins fans. In subsequent games, the same was observed. A definite anti-Parkside sentiment was obvious and this was before the Harvey game. I understand that the home town will support the underdog to upset the higher ranked seed so the intimidation factor was aimed squarely at the Parkside boys.

The parents had every right to become the Mama Bears here, one of their cubs was threatened and hurt. I didn't see that and I expected to. So why does the Harvey coach feel the need to confront the parent and instigate? I absolutely am positive as I was in the gym at the time, that the parent wanted no contact with the coach but was forced to deal with him instead of looking after the player.
    Again, the Timmins people see what they want to see. My observations were quite different.

Enough on this matter. Ofsaa has seen fit to give the hosting to Timmins much too often in the last 10-20 years. Is there a reason for this? Perhaps no one else offers? Perhaps someone is inside the inner circle and works to bring the business to town. I don't know.
    The officials ran out of the gym after the game, openly stating for all to hear that they needed to get out fast. They were scared. No one from Parkside said a word to them in the seconds after the game. Watch the webcast.

I must respond to thatdude ....I did not post on this site as it was not relevant but I HAVE POSTED IN ON HOOPLIFE.CA....LOOK IT UP.
    I questioned the Westminster coach's decision to leave Dejan on in the final few minutes in the Forester game. I had observed Ali take a cheap shot in an earlier game and his own coach pulled him off and admonished him for it. Very commendable. The Westmin coach left Dejan out there against Forester with a substantial lead...why? That was not advisable given the behaviour demonstrated by Ali earlier in the tournament. Everyone knew about it. Ali went after Dejan and they were fortunate that he did no damage. I repeat, I do not have any issues with Westminster. The issue is with the safety and well being of the players. Coaches are to be held accountable. It's not an easy job.
    I see you have a problem with Parkside's #34. He is generally one of their best players, not a thug. I find it hard to believe he would risk his own well being. I have observed him in a tournament in Ottawa, He is not a thug, he is aggressive and also much smaller than Dejan. That would be an excercise in futility, him trying to take him down.

I watched that Parkside/Timmins game. They collided with a Timmins player. Even if you believed they collided with each other, the apparent injury was enough to stop the initial laughter. That didn't happen. They players were laughed at as they hopped back to the bench.
    There is no justification for any of this. I believe in professional and appropriate behaviour from coaches and players at all times. Boorish behaviour by fans is to be expected but teachers and convenors joining in and condoning it is ridiculous.
    I have seen GTA school officials do a great job to clamp down on unsportsmanlike behaviour from teams, coaches and fans....I expect the same everywhere.
    slamdunk
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by slamdunk Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Very surprised to hear this about Ali. Definitely not Ali Haidar's style to play like that.
    bigshot
    Freshman

Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by bigshot Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:36 am

Thank you george harvey for representing toronto basketball so well!
    Obviously out of town refs are bias against inner city or toronto teams thats how it has always been. That just means you have to play harder and then when you win the other team has NO excuse for losing except they lost to a better team. GH was a pretty good team this year, winning alot of tier 2 tournys and making it far into ofsa... but guys hearing about this is pathetic... Runnymede would not have done this at AA ofsaa. Grow up and shut your mouths about it, stop posting on hooptown about why it happened, come back next year with some sportsmanship and class and when you win everyone will be proud to say you guys are a Toronto basketball team.
    rec
    Freshman

Post by rec Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:03 pm

I have seen Runnymede this year and in years past. They are always a class act, from the coaches down through to the players. No question that they would have had no controversy as they always conduct themselves appropriately.
    I really don't know why you would bring this up now.
    George Harvey fans will defend them and that is understandable. All the other observations posted here will not change your mind.
    That is understood as well.
    Why the insults to a Runnymede team that had nothing to do with ofsaa?
    It is further evidence that the GH mentality is about blaming others and not accepting responsibility and being accountable for their own actions.

It's time to grow up at GH and watch and learn from the elite programs in the GTA. They know how to play to win, and even lose the tough games with honour and dignity.
    azn_hobo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37

Post by azn_hobo Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:14 pm

friging idiots. if u werent IN THE GYM, wen da racist refs made his comments, or behind doors wen da parents stormed GH's change room, dont talk alie?
    jd7
    Freshman

Post by jd7 Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:04 am

I WAS there. No parent stormed the locker room. The parents were outside the gym waiting for their own team to emerge from their own locker room then got out of there asap. It was the Harvey coach storming his own locker room and screaming obscenities and everyone could hear the players trashing the room.
    I don't know about the officials. They certainly didn't show any antagonism against George Harvey during the game as there were few fouls called for their flagrant actions. They were most likely intimidated by the coach.

hobo...enough with the excuses...it was a poor display on the part of your team..owning up to it would be a good start to growing up.
    bigshot
    Freshman

Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by bigshot Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:39 pm

REC, re-read my post i dont think you understood what i meant.

i was not insulting Runnymede, i was saying they would have been the better team to represent Toronto basketball at OFSAA because they are class acts, unlike GH. I wanted Runnymede to make it to ofsaa over george harvey but gh is the better team.

"It's time to grow up at GH and watch and learn from the elite programs in the GTA. They know how to play to win, and even lose the tough games with honour and dignity".
    well said REC...
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:39 pm

[quote="we.not.me"]people who were not at the double A ofssaa should SHUT THE . UP, yes i'm talking to you rec. and peelfan, don't talk . about my former coach, you need to get your head out of your ass and shut the . up too. you were not there, so sit down and suck something, please it's what you are good at. and i'm dying about these accusations about harvey was the one causing trouble and acting like menaces. so is that why the ofsaa committee came up to the harvey coach after the parkside game and apologized for the behaviour of the parkside parents? i watched the parkside game where number 25 would yell in harveys point guards face but the harvey pg would not say a word back. i love the face that everyone has hated on harvey forever since the start of this season, and you kow what i say to you guys. EAT A DICK.[/quote]

Even though you have the right to defend George Harvey, crass and imature posts like this one only represents your school in a negative light. You have to stop attacking people and maybe just make your points strongly felt in a better manner. Posts like these will not help George Harvey in terms of this investigation by OFSAA officials. If people feel like the kids and coaches at Harvey behave like thugs, you and others posting the way you do will not change people's minds. You have to think things out before you post. The kids at George Harvey could be protrayed unfairly in a negative light in this situation but you are not helping matters. I was not there but I am keeping an open mind and want to give everybody a fair chance to defend themselves but when you post like this you make it very hard. I feel that even though you could help to make things easier for Harvey, you are making things worse. I know that the accusations are frustrating and obviously, George Harvey is dear to your heart but you have to stay focused. I am not attacking you personally, I am actually trying to help you understand what you are accomplishing here.

Last edited by wcbasketball on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rec
    Freshman

Post by rec Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:08 pm

[quote="bigshot"]REC, re-read my post i dont think you understood what i meant.

i was not insulting Runnymede, i was saying they would have been the better team to represent Toronto basketball at OFSAA because they are class acts, unlike GH. I wanted Runnymede to make it to ofsaa over george harvey but gh is the better team.

"It's time to grow up at GH and watch and learn from the elite programs in the GTA. They know how to play to win, and even lose the tough games with honour and dignity".
    well said REC...[/quote]

You're right...I read it wrong..I apologize. I have always respected the Runnymede program and they have represented Toronto exceptionally well at ofsaa for many years. I have seen them this year and I believe they are the better AA team but everyone knows that every teams season can turn into a disappointment in a second.
    They are the forgotten team as the most attention is generally given towards the Quad A and Triple A teams. I got my back up a little and over-reacted.
    I'm glad you recognized the point I made of the elite GTA teams. Given the rantings in other threads on some of the controversial issues that they face, they could never be accused of poor sportsmanship. Their coaches would never allow it and always accept responsiblity. That is what we must all strive for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:58 pm