HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+38
GRASSROOTSS
Mr Bean
mr_09
CoachPaul
theunknown2009
dhoward12
gnote
petro
canadianhoopsfan
ReshawnW.5
laszlo
Father Time
RealBall
imthebestperiod
Coach Mike
caddykid5
Zen Master
Ronson
rec
Coach Clement
coachblue
Respect
wcbasketball
minihotsauce
stevelogan92
bballfan
hoopluvr10
zonekiller
Sh0t_Calla12
knowthegame
dukesucks
tb11
steve.nash1
bruins
keepingitreal
whatupdawg
coachhopps
Coach Philippe
42 posters

North American Academy-NAA

Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

North American Academy-NAA Empty North American Academy-NAA

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:00 pm

April 17, 2009

(Erie, PA)

Attention Basketball World and Media Outlets:

We are very excited in announcing the start of a new Private High School and Prep Program in Erie, Pennsylvania, with a Canadian twist.
    North American Academy (NAA) has been established as an extension the already fully accredited Family First Academy (FFA), in Erie, Pennsylvania. FFA has been in existence since 1986 and has students from over 10 countries.

It will focus on the academic and athletic development of young men who will one day be Elite student- athletes at the University level. NAA offers a high quality of educational and sport specific training and support. NAA has excellent housing, scholastics and a world class athletic complex containing a comprehensive fitness centre, four indoor and eight outdoor courts. The indoor hardwood floors feature NBA style courts with glass backboards and break away rims.

NAA also offers high quality academics with small class sizes, dedicated faculty and advanced student services to fully prepare our student- athletes for university. The relatively new housing centre features air-conditioned rooms with full showers, laundry and a large student lounge. The dining centre seats up to 400 students and includes a nutritious all- you- can- eat menu.

The Academy, which has an enrollment approx. 280 students from K-12, will see over 40 new students added for the 2009-2010 academic year. Students enjoy the benefit of tutoring, study halls, as well as SAT prep classes.

Our mission statement is to afford our student- athletes an opportunity to graduate, qualify and be well prepared for post- secondary education and athletics.

With strong emphasis on discipline, value based academics and life skills development, NAA seeks to be a very viable option for promising student- athletes in Canada and all over the world.

This new, Elite High School program will be lead by veteran Coach Ro Russell of Grassroots Canada Elite. He brings over 17 years of winning credentials at the high school, AAU and International levels. He has assisted in the development and placement of over 400 former players to numerous Schools at the NCAA D1/D2 CIS, OCA, and JUCO levels. Coach Russell, who most recently served as the Head Coach of Centennial College in Toronto, Ontario, Canada will serve as the Assistant Athletic Director and Head Coach of the NAA National Elite Team. He also guided his 2008 Elite AAU team to a major championship in Vegas last July as they were the first Canadian team ever to win the prestigious event.

Alongside him will be Nate B. Philippe who will be the Head Coach of the NAA Prep Team. He most recently was the Head Coach of 2009 OFSAA 4A Quarter-Finalists, West Hill Collegiate Institute, and an Assistant with Grassroots Canada Elite. He also assisted with the Centennial College Men’s Basketball team this past season.

Nick Thomas will be serving as Head Coach of the NAA Varsity Team. He is currently an Assistant Coach with Grassroots Canada Elite and former Head Coach of Don Bosco Catholic S.S. and 2007 OFSAA 3A Qualifiers, Bishop Morocco. He was also an Assistant Coach with the Centennial College Colts this past season.

This All-Canadian Coaching staff will also complimented by various graduate assistants, interns, and managers from the US and Canada.
    Each head coach brings a strong coaching resume as well as solid backgrounds as successful players at the high school and collegiate levels.
    Rounding out the NAA team is Wells Davis (Marketing Director), Anthony Otto (Director of Scouting), Shane Allen (Director of Operations) and Brian Ferguson (Media Relations Director).

NAA Marketing Director will be Wells Davis who brings 15 yrs of business savvy and successful coaching experience to the program. He has won several OBA championships and is a veteran marketing executive.

The Director of Scouting will be Anthony Otto. He possesses a very keen eye for talent and heads up recruitment and player development.
    Shane Allen, will oversee the program as the Director of Operation and Brian Ferguson will act as PR and Media Relations Director.

NAA student-athletes will include Elite Canadian, American and International players of a high level of ability and character. Our goal will be to make this a Top 10 program nationally and provide high level academics, training, coaching, exposure, and competition for all of our players. The fact our program will feature numerous Top 50 and Top 100 players of high academic and moral standing will definitely help reach that goal.

NAA will have a national schedule and compete at the highest level in high school basketball.

We are very excited about this opportunity and look to be very successful right away.

For more info on NAA its upcoming season, call Ro Russell, (Head Coach-National Team, (416)567- 4770, rorussell@hotmail.com), Brian Ferguson, (Media Relations Director (814)504-5560) or Nate B. Philippe (Head Coach-Prep Team, (416)356-6283, nbphilippe@hotmail.com).
    Further information is also available on our program’s website: www.naacademy.org and the school site: www.familyfirstacademy.org.

Sincere Thanks,

North American Academy
    “Elite Academics, Training, Exposure, and Competition”

Last edited by Coach Philippe on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

North American Academy-NAA Empty Re: North American Academy-NAA

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 pm

This has been rumored for a couple of months now, so here's the Official Press Release.

We're very excited about this opportunity and thank everyone for they're support in advance. This is another way to elevate Canadian Basketball, and provide exposure for our players.

As always, positive feedback and questions are welcomed!
    If you have negative comments, please state your name and affiliations.

Thanks and enjoy March Madness!
    (best time of the year to be a basketball fan...Laughing)

(Coach Hopps, I edited the press release. The 2007 3A OFSAA Qualifiers for Nick Thomas was referring to Bishop Morocco... That was a typing error and I apologize. Congrats to you and your team for an excellent season and thanks for the support!)

Last edited by Coach Philippe on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    coachhopps
    Freshman

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by coachhopps Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 pm

First I would like to congratulate everyone involved this is a great opportunity for coaches in Canada. I am glad to see the hard work has paid off and people are starting to see the talent in both players and coaches in our country.

I just want to correct something that was listed in the press release. I have been the head coach of the Don Bosco Boys Basketball team for 4 years now and have worked hard with my players and assistant coaches to build a basketball program there. I am not taking anything away from Nick as I am sure he has paid his dues as a coach within the GTA but I do how ever dislike the wording of this article saying that this past season he helped lead Don Bosco to 3A Ofsaa. This is an achievement that the players and coaches of the 2008/09 season can take credit for. These kids and coaches put in a lot of hours and worked hard all year long.

Some of you may dislike this and that is fine I just want to give credit where credit is due.

Again I wish all 3 coaches all the best on their journey next year they have all paid their dues and should be recognized for that.

Coach Steve Hopkins
    Don Bosco S.S.
    coachhopps
    Freshman

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by coachhopps Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Coach Philippe Thank you for making that correction ... Again I wish you, Ro and Nick all the best next year in Erie.

Coach Hopkins
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:02 pm

How haz coch philippe paid hiz duez?? one sezon?? I dontz getz it???
    explain pleaz....
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Coach Hopkins,

For clarification, Nick Thomas was a Coach at Don Bosco in 2001...
    Thanks again for your support!

Whatupdawg, I posted an answer for you under the West Hill topic for clarification. I was at West Hill this year along with Centennial College and Grassroots Canada, but have been involved in basketball as a Coach/Player since I was in High School in 1994.

If you'd like a list of my credentials as a University Graduate with a degree in Economics and Business Studies that's fine, but I'd first need to know who you are and what you're credentials are?

Thanks again for everyone's positivity and support. Please remember that we are REAL people, that are excited about a REAL opportunity and we do our best for our PLAYER'S development and exposure ALONG with what is best for ourselves and our families!
    keepingitreal
    keepingitreal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post by keepingitreal Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:58 pm

It's pretty funny how "whatup dawg" has become silent....lol
    keepingitreal
    keepingitreal
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2009-02-16

Post by keepingitreal Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:00 pm

It's pretty funny how "whatupdawg" has become silent....lol
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Yeah Keeping it Real, it's very unfortunate that people jump all over negative stories, but when a positive story comes out, no one's interested.

A few weeks ago I posted a story " Point Missed, Point Made"

Post Coach Philippe on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:08 pm
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3925981&categoryid=3286128
    (ESPN Video link above...)

This was a 2 part post with the 1st goal to put a positive story out there that would touch people and spread a great message! The 2nd goal was to see people's reaction. That post had 186 views and only 1 person made a comment! Much like a story that was posted with OCAA Award winners (posted by HooptownGTA) where there were 123 views and not a single comment!

Here is another example. This is a great story for Canadian basketball and an opportunity/accomplishment that all associated with NAA (players and coaches) are very excited about and the only thing people are interested in is negativity...

Coach Hopkins' post to wish us well was great though, and many friends and Coaches have reached out to myself, Coach Ro and Coach Nick by phone/e-mail, so the support is definitely there!

Let's spread Love and Support, not hate, life's too short!
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:17 pm

coach nate you seem to be pretty level headed(from your posts) im not sure why you would want to be part of this situation with ro. I can see you trying to maybe advance to some next level coaching position but to line yourself up with that dude seems the wrong way of doing it.
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Coach is not level headed. He will blame the refs for every loss!! I guess thats what happens when you cant coach!!
    Good luck though

BA 2010 champs 4 sure
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:29 pm

^ Steve Nash's post is a perfect example of unnecessary hate...

Thanks for proving my point and I appreciate your compliment of my Coaching abilities! LOL... Wink

Bruins, thank you for the compliment. I do consider myself as a pretty level headed guy...
    It's a great opportunity and we're all excited about it! Don't worry about me man, I'm a big guy (6'7) so I can handle myself...
    tb11
    Freshman

Number of posts : 148
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by tb11 Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:53 pm

I don't think everybody is actually taking in what coach Phillipe has been preaching out for a while now. He is continuously saying "lets spread love, not hate" and yet there are still people who continues to show hate despite Coach P's request. When he tries to share something with us, people are still highlighting the negative and not the positive...
    I'm not trying to start anything with anyone, but it seems that some people are not getting it. Coach P. get's a new job and now he's a sell out? Why not be happy for him and leave it at that.

Congratulations on your new job coach and good luck in the future.
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:54 pm

well i guess good luck to you, i hope you are getting paid well for your time.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks tb11, that was a great post and I appreciate it!

I'm glad that someone's heard my message, and I think that makes it all worthwhile. Just like Coaching, not every player is going to buy into what you teach, but if it helps one player develop as a person or as a player it makes it worthwhile...

I truly believe in positivity and congratulating people for their success. That is why I congratulate Eastern Commerce (4A), St. Matthew's (3A), STA (2A), and Académie Mère-Teresa (1A) for their OFSAA Championships!!

Tb11, thanks for your positivity, it's very refreshing...
    Bruins, thanks for your positive wishes as well.

I hope everyone knows, in the real world, if someone in a corporation gets promoted/get a new job, people congratulate them and wish them well. It's absolutely something to celebrate!
    dukesucks
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

Post by dukesucks Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:40 pm

If this is truly better for the players and coaches than staying in Canada, then all of you should become u.s. citizens and make a living there.
    What kind of visa are the paid coaches going to be on? Are you coming back to Ontario to use the health care system while you live in the u.s.?
    3 or 4 years of h.s. in the u.s. for cdn kids and then juco or uni...if you want to be part of their system then stay in their system
    If you don't like the way it's done in Canada, don't use canadian kids to get ahead in the u.s.
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 pm

I think I called this months ago if I stand corrected. Check my posts! Knowthegame knows the game! Congrads fellas. Do the right thing.
    Sh0t_Calla12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Post by Sh0t_Calla12 Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Do u have to be recruited to get in here?
    Sh0t_Calla12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Post by Sh0t_Calla12 Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 pm

lol cuz i wanna get all that training and stuff all day long
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:37 pm

although it may be a personal question could you give a ballpark amount for your salary. knowing that we in canada volunterr for the honour to coach high school hoops, it would be interesting to see how you both will be compensated
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:01 pm

bruins good question;

coach phillipe; do you foresee an influx of canadian kids going to erie now???
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 pm

ok...real talkz...wha abowt west hillz returnin sr menz n d junirz who will b movin up...whoz got dere bac....??
    i guess west hill is dun....bow wow wow...
    hoopluvr10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-03-14

Post by hoopluvr10 Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 am

bruins ...you got no brains...stop the hating ....at the end of the day ..this is a good thing in canadian basketball. FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME BOY!! STOP HATIN!! POSITIVE BRINGS POSTIVE!!!
    hoopluvr10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-03-14

Post by hoopluvr10 Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:40 am

Congratulations !!!.We would like to see canadian basketball rise to the next level. With hard work and for the love of the game this may be achieved. Shoot for the stars and maybe we will land on some sunshine for canadian basketball. WE GOT SKILLS TOO ...WHAT!
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:54 am

To answer your questions (since now things are going in a positive direction):

Canadian players have been going to American H.S./Prep Programs for years for Exposure, Training, Competition, Facilities, and Coaching. This is not a new concept.

The difference with the NAA Concept is that the Coaching Staff for our School are Canadian, and the school is located only 3 hours from Toronto. So now, Canadian Players can go to a Canadian run H.S./Prep Program rather than an American one, that will offer all the same benefits and be of a High Caliber!

The fact that the Coaches are Canadian, I believe will be the biggest difference maker (along with top-notch facilities), because I think everyone that knows the U.S. knows that Americans don't take Canadians 100% seriously. American Coaches and Players sometimes view Canadians as 2nd class or soft...

So with a Canadian Coaching staff, along with Incredible Exposure, Competition, Training, Facilities etc, it's a great situation for Canadian Players (along with International and American players who will also attend the school...)

To answer the other questions/comments:
    -no, I obviously wouldn't tell you my salary (and that is not polite to ask)
    -yes, I am still a Canadian Citizen and LOVE Canada with all my heart!
    -yes you have to get recruited to North American Academy
    -yes, I still LOVE West Hill and want to see the program do well and thrive!!
    -and ABSOLUTELY I believe that Canadian Players and Coaches are TOP NOTCH, and we deserve to SUCCEED and SHINE!!

and finally, THANK YOU to everyone who has reached out with Congratulations and Positive Wishes!! Very Happy

Last edited by Coach Philippe on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm