HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+38
GRASSROOTSS
Mr Bean
mr_09
CoachPaul
theunknown2009
dhoward12
gnote
petro
canadianhoopsfan
ReshawnW.5
laszlo
Father Time
RealBall
imthebestperiod
Coach Mike
caddykid5
Zen Master
Ronson
rec
Coach Clement
coachblue
Respect
wcbasketball
minihotsauce
stevelogan92
bballfan
hoopluvr10
zonekiller
Sh0t_Calla12
knowthegame
dukesucks
tb11
steve.nash1
bruins
keepingitreal
whatupdawg
coachhopps
Coach Philippe
42 posters

North American Academy-NAA

dhoward12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2008-09-12

North American Academy-NAA - Page 4 Empty Re: North American Academy-NAA

Post by dhoward12 Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:35 pm

How much is it per year to live here and how do kids get accepted into this school. Do you call and rectruit them or do they have to call u?
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by Coach Philippe Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Hey dhoward12,

Sounds like you have some pretty specific questions, so you can reach me at nbphilippe@hotmail.com

We recruit players on a case-by-case basis and look at not only athletic ability, but also character and academic standing.

Send me an e-mail and I can provide some more info.

ps. Before anyone else asks, the rosters will be released very soon!
    zonekiller
    Junior

Number of posts : 649
    Registration date : 2008-08-08

Post by zonekiller Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:23 am

coach; cmon man!! whats the roster??? whats the big secret??
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm sure that NAA still has to confirm all of the players, scholorships, and do all the paperwork before they leak any of the names. This will take time.
    Also I'm sure they'll want to have an official press release, not just post a list of names on this website.

Remember this is the 1st season for this school, and they'll be making their 1st impression on the Canadian & U.S. bball community. They're gonna have to do things very professional.
    gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by gnote Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:15 pm

first the reason people are asking for rosters is because you have been saying they are coming "soon", on may17 you said "in a few weeks" that was 2 months ago, so it seems to me that kids/parents arent as eager as you initially thought. i myself will not ask for the list agian, i will just wait.
    also, im begining to think that ther wont be as many canadian players there as originally thought. finally as for being professional, doesnt really seem that way to me, thats my opinion. i do with the players best of luck
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Number of posts : 118
    Registration date : 2008-08-14

Post by bruins Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:34 am

i think people just wanna start hatin on the players and boost themselves saying they should be there
    dhoward12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2008-09-12

Post by dhoward12 Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:05 am

I was just wondering. Cant you just answer the questions on here?

How much is it per year to live there?
    Hdo kids get accepted into this school?
    Do you call and rectruit them or do they have to call u?
    How old do you need to be to be accepted? 13-17?
    Is it only a basketball school or is it with other sport programs as well
    Are there normal students in this school?(Only in school for acedemic purposes ,no sports)
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282
    Registration date : 2009-01-18

Post by theunknown2009 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:18 pm

theres a website you can google it and find the information
    ReshawnW.5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by ReshawnW.5 Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:55 pm

email him! Dhoward12 he doesnt come on Hooptown daily or probably even weekly!
    canadianhoopsfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-08-22

Post by canadianhoopsfan Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:47 pm

The website for NAA has been updated.

http://www.naacademy.org

The original coaches are no longer listed as coaches, whats up?
    theunknown2009
    Freshman

Number of posts : 282

Post by theunknown2009 Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:32 pm

It's done i heard the school has been folded
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:28 pm

The school hasn't folded, but coach Ro is no longer associated with NAA. Many of the players that were going to go are also no longer going. Nik is not going for sure.
    mr_09
    Freshman

Number of posts : 149

Post by mr_09 Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:45 pm

r u seroise what happend where is nik goin
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Thats really bad news.

What happened??
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:50 pm

An official announcement was going to be done on Monday, but since the news is out here is the situation.

Due to lack of deposits/commitments for the High School program by the deadline of August 1st, we are unable to form a High School Program at this time. The final decision was made by Management (NAA CEO and COO) to proceed with North American Academy in streamlined form with only a Prep Program in place for Year 1 with myself as the Head Coach and Program Director.

The roster for the Prep Team is fully in place and has been for some time. With the talent and strength at every position, a National Schedule vs Top Prep, JUCO and NCAA JV teams, and one of the most Elite Basketball facilities in America, NAA is positioned to be competitive on the American Basketball Prep Scene for years to come.

The tough news is for the High School players that were committed to the program. Those are the players and families that my heart goes out to, and I wish the outcome could have been different for them. Also, it is true that Coach Russell and Coach Thomas will not be a part of the program, and I wish things could have turned out differently for them as well.

It was important with the Post Grad Prep team being guys that are in their final year of School getting ready for the next level that the program succeed and move forward though, and everything is in place for them to have a phenomenal year.

This is a lot of news to swallow at once, so I will save the announcement of Rosters and Schedule for a more appropriate time.

Anyone with specific questions regarding the Program can reach me at nbphilippe@hotmail.com

With more time and an opportunity to increase the Program Profile after Year 1, we will be looking to add a 2nd Team.

So again, yes NAA is alive and well, and yes the Prep Team is complete and poised to have a phenomenal year with a National Schedule, high level training (with dedicated Strength and Conditioning Coaches + Trainers), and a chance to compete for a National Championship.

To the High School families and parents though, I truly wish things could have worked out differently.

Unfortunately the start up of any business or Program of this magnitude is never smooth as I've experienced from starting businesses
    in the past. With a bright future as a National Elite Program, we have to remember the big picture and all of the young men this program will help in achieving their dreams in the future and the present!

Mr Bean
    Freshman

Number of posts : 131
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Mr Bean Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:13 pm

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Please tell us the rest of the story Coach Philippe.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Not sure what you're asking Mr. Bean, I thought my post was pretty clear.
    All the answers are there, so please re-read.
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:05 pm

I will admit this is very disturbing news, even though I've known about the situation for a while. I was just hoping that things would come to light. Well, this still is a progressive step so, good luck Coach Phillipe on your endevours at NAA. I'm sure you will have a sucessful season and hopefully develop some student athletes who will continue they're playing and education at the next level whether it be NCAA Div 1, 2, NAIA or CIS!
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:40 pm

coach just wondering, as players have been named to your school but you seem to not be able to inform people about the roster you have. a player like brady heslip is listed as going to your school and it would be his 6 year of high school. where does a player like brady fit in that enviroment? and why is ro no longer involved?
    GRASSROOTSS
    Freshman

Number of posts : 35

Post by GRASSROOTSS Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:32 pm

In order for a new HS/Prep to work the chemistry between the school and myself has to be on point and my vision of trying to build a nationally recognized program has to be shared by the school. I didn't accept the position with a mindset of mediocrity and limited support.

My asst Nick Thomas and myself have decided to relocate. He has always been loyal and trustworthy.

Stay tuned.
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by petro Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:59 pm

WoW.

Sounds like the great spin master RR just might have his biggest challenge.

Note Ro's loyalty with Thomas... and no mention of best wishes to Phillipe. Hope things are amicable with that relationship.

Of greater note... interesting to see how R.R. mentions his vision has to be shared by the school. YIKES... if that doesn't reak of insubordinatation... then it just spells DISASTER.

Back in May, when this announcement was made, I wrote the following to Coach Phillipe... "Oh... for years I've expressed my concerns/motives etc. about your colleague RR... but in the same breath... I won't prejudge you or put you in the same box."

I still wish you the best of luck Nate... things happen for a resason. Cool
    bruins
    bruins
    Freshman

Post by bruins Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 am

i guess that would be typical of the "me/now" generation. f what hard work can do for you. if you can't win the us nationals year one whats the point? it seems that the players that do end up at the school will benefit greatly from your departure ro.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:43 am

Well, if you look back at my posts in this topic, and everything I have ever written on Hooptown GTA, you will see I'm very consistent with one theme: "Spread Love, Not Hate..."

That's what I've been about in the past, and that's what I'm about now. No need to change my stance today or any day.

I will say that North American Academy from Top to Bottom is about Exposure, Training, Academics and Helping young men achieve their dreams, and I will do everything in my power to make sure every player that is part of the NAA program gets exactly that!

You'll note in my previous post that I made sure to show concern for the High School players and Families (it's important to me that they know that). At the same time, I am extremely excited about the players that we have involved in the program, and they are the reason I chose to continue in my commitment to NAA Flourishing and Succeeding!

The other thing I am committed to is uplifting Canadian Basketball any way I can. For this reason, I'm letting all Canadian Coaches know we will be running an NAA Showcase Tournament, and we also have Tourneys, Coaching Clinics, Camps and Events throughout the year whether you are a Player, High School Coach, AAU, OCAA, or CIS, you are welcome in Erie, PA! So if you're looking for games or Tourneys, you can e-mail me anytime.

I've already lined up some games vs. Canadian Teams, and will continue to look out for my own (Players and Coaches)!

Much LOVE everybody, thanks for the support!

nbphilippe@hotmail.com
    www.naacademy.org
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 am

[quote="bruins"]i guess that would be typical of the "me/now" generation. f what hard work can do for you. if you can't win the us nationals year one whats the point? it seems that the players that do end up at the school will benefit greatly from your departure ro.[/quote]

Don't go saying stuff like that when you don't know the whole story. Ro didn't leave because he thinks that he can't win the US nationals in the first year. The main point is that the scholarships that were awarded to the players were either changed (price went up) or were taken away. Most of the guys that were coming to NAA can't afford the tuition and were relying on scholarships. No scholarships, no players. No players, no Ro.

I'm sure there are a thousand other small details in there that we will never know, but I think this is the meat of the matter.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 am

[quote="CoachPaul"] Don't go saying stuff like that when you don't know the whole story. Ro didn't leave because he thinks that he can't win the US nationals in the first year. The main point is that the scholarships that were awarded to the players were either changed (price went up) or were taken away. Most of the guys that were coming to NAA can't afford the tuition and were relying on scholarships. No scholarships, no players. No players, no Ro.

I'm sure there are a thousand other small details in there that we will never know, but I think this is the meat of the matter.[/quote]

Coach Paul, as you can see by my post above, I believe in truth and doing things the right way. For that reason, I think it's important that we deal with the truth. I will never kick someone when they are down, and that is the reason I said "my heart goes out to the High School Players and Families" and I wish things could have worked out differently. You are someone that I respect, and Nik is a phenomenal young man as well that is one of the best young players in Canada!

The Truth is that Tuition and Scholarships were NEVER changed by anyone at NAA, and Coach Ro is not part of the program due to Management Decision, the CEO and COO. There is not a High School Team due to not having enough firm commitments on the High School Roster, just like I wrote in my post.

I am truly trying to do things the right way and be the bigger man, but at the same time, KINDNESS should never be mistaken for WEAKNESS. The truth is very important to me just as doing things the right way is.

When the decision was made by Management, I needed to make a TOUGH decision, but as I said in my post with the players on the Prep Team being in their 5th year, it was important that NAA proceed and succeed, and that the Commitments I made to them and their families were upheld. That is the reason that I continue to push forward and deal with the negativity that is circulating.

I have defended Coach Ro in the past, so if I were to speak negatively about him now, it wouldn't be right. At the same time, I will not support mis-truth in any way, shape or form so if I hear mis-truth I will correct it!

NAA will succeed, and I am 110% about doing what is best for my players at all times, THEY are what's important.

Last edited by Coach Philippe on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:21 am