HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+38
GRASSROOTSS
Mr Bean
mr_09
CoachPaul
theunknown2009
dhoward12
gnote
petro
canadianhoopsfan
ReshawnW.5
laszlo
Father Time
RealBall
imthebestperiod
Coach Mike
caddykid5
Zen Master
Ronson
rec
Coach Clement
coachblue
Respect
wcbasketball
minihotsauce
stevelogan92
bballfan
hoopluvr10
zonekiller
Sh0t_Calla12
knowthegame
dukesucks
tb11
steve.nash1
bruins
keepingitreal
whatupdawg
coachhopps
Coach Philippe
42 posters

North American Academy-NAA

caddykid5
    caddykid5
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 505
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

North American Academy-NAA - Page 3 Empty Re: North American Academy-NAA

Post by caddykid5 Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:13 pm

duh unless they get a scholarship
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Coach Mike Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Firstly I would like to congratulate Coach Phillipe and the rest of the Canadian coaches for this wonderful opportunity for themselves and Canadian basketball.

As a coach, I know for a fact that if I were given the opportunity to be paid for doing something I love and enjoy... I would jump at the opportunity...as I am sure many coaches would. The one thing that many coaches have pointed out is that we are all VOLUNTEERS and we are in no way compensated for our time or work we put into the teams we coach.. atleast at the high school level... I know some OBA coaches are reimbursed for their expenses, but that is about the extent of it.

For those of you who continue to bash some of these coaches for their decision to leave Canada for another opportunity need to wake up. Countless men and women in other professions leave their positions for more money and or a higher level position all the time... so why do we have a problem for these people doing it.

Coach Phillipe best of luck with everything at the NAA.. I hope you will keep all of us posted on the progress of this program and will help to develop some great Canadian talent and give us more exposure and open up more opportunities for the great Canadian coaches in the US and beyond.
    imthebestperiod
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2008-09-04

Post by imthebestperiod Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Coach Phillipe how do you get invited to this program even if you do not have the best ways of getting exposure?
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:46 pm

[quote="wcbasketball"][quote="stevelogan92"]wcbasketball,

If your in the business of scouting, you will know exactly who those kids are by there first names. It's the unknown kids that you will have to list their full info.[/quote]

No matter what, a coach looking at a prospect will want a full name. I highly doubt that I could send an e-mail to a prep school coach and say "Hey, take a look at Alex here in Toronto". I will receive an e-mail right back asking "Alex who, there are lots of guys named Alex?" Last year that could have meant Hill or Arthur.People who are in the business of scouting see thousands of kids a year. When they write up a report and submit it to coaches, recruiters etc they have full names. Coaches receive tons of names of kids who may be a good fit for their school.It was just a point I was making where professionalism and proper communication are essential.[/quote]

wcbasketball,
    As "CoachBlue" stated there is a lot more involved that a coach saying take my player. How is coach suppose to answer your first question? You list a bunch of names that have absolutely no information on them. No last name, no current high school. Let's be honest, there are lot's of kids named Duane and Troy.

You say how is coach (singular meaning Coach Philipe) suppose to answer your question. He is now in the business of scouting. He should be able to answer the original question.

Duane Notice
    Troy Reid Knight
    Mikyle Mcintosh
    etc

Coach Philipe is Canadian, Is involved with Grassroots, and im sure he knows who he was asking about. Those names are the first names of the top players in Ontario for the class of 94. There arnt alot of kids named Duane or Troy who could play prep.

You are reading too much into a discusion board question.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by wcbasketball Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:30 pm

Considering all of the points that I and others have made regarding this post, I feel as though you have decided to challange the most irrelevant point by far. I am not reading into this too much, I just made my point and you decided that this was the one thing you had to challange. It actually made me shake my head when I first read it because you are usually a person who speaks intelligently and concentrates on much more important factors.Usually, I feel you make great points but to focus on a first name comment I made is pointless. I would like to hear your input on everything else regarding this matter.
    I just feel that it would look better to add a kid's full name. That is all. You read way too far into this point. I know a lot regarding high school basketball and could not come up with all players mentioned. Some of them yes but not all. I guess that you are a much better and well informed person than I since you could name them all.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:33 pm

both you guys sound a little sensitive about this..just drop it fellas..not a big deal...
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:43 pm

wcbasketball,

Your right, I apologize. I guess im having a bad day.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:47 pm

man today is like a national holiday for coaches...no fighting on our holiday!!
    RealBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 234
    Registration date : 2008-07-12

Post by RealBall Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:35 pm

Just imagine if players like Cory Joseph, Nick Wiggins, Jermaine Myers, Richard Peters, Renaldo Dixon, Dwight Powell, Junior Cadougan (and many many more) had stayed in Toronto to finish their high school education?

The competition level of Tdot hoops would be off the charts, probably on par or better than most U.S. markets. Just think how insane our high school ball would be, it would be crazy.
    U.S. colleges would have to come up North to us to recruit these kids for D1 programs, bringing exposure to even more student-athletes.
    Toronto Coaches and the basketball community would have to step up their game bigtime to match the talent level of our kids.
    In a perfect world maybe.

But at the same time you can't blame any player or coach for seeking better opportunities elsewhere. I really hope NAA is a success, and in some way helps to develop the game (players, coaches, facilities) here at home.
    Congratz all and Good luck.
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:37 am

[quote="coachblue"]man today is like a national holiday for coaches...no fighting on our holiday!![/quote]

Us coaches don't refer to this as fighting. We refer to this as politely disagreeing.LOL!
    wcbasketball
    Sophomore

Post by wcbasketball Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:39 am

[quote="stevelogan92"]wcbasketball,

Your right, I apologize. I guess im having a bad day.[/quote]

I appreciate that. I also apologize as I got a bit too intense. I thought I was coaching for a minute there.LOL!
    Father Time
    Freshman

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-03-10

Post by Father Time Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 am

[quote="wcbasketball"][quote="stevelogan92"]wcbasketball,

Your right, I apologize. I guess im having a bad day.[/quote]

I appreciate that. I also apologize as I got a bit too intense. I thought I was coaching for a minute there.LOL![/quote]XXXOOO get a room you 2 LOL affraid
    laszlo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by laszlo Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:00 am

http://www.crownmagonline.com/articles/20090319.html

crown magazines article about North American Acadamy.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:31 am

ok..no disagreeing..holiday still on.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:36 am

good article...
    dukesucks
    Freshman

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

Post by dukesucks Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 pm

This article should explain how out of hand youth basketball is in the U.S.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/magazine/22basketball-t.html?_r=1
    Is this why the NAA people think there isn't enough exposure in Canada?
    The AAU and PREP schools are there to feed the NCAA. How many small fish need to be swallowed by the big fish?
    Are we turning all basketball players into athlete-students?
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Wow! that article is very interesting. But, realistically, we need to let kids know that they can dream...right??? This is an issue that needs no pointing of the finger but a gathering of collective involvement of the parties that be. Parents, Coaches, Teachers, Child.

P.S. Congrads to all the coaches and staff appointed to N.A.A!!! Hope we can establish a level of strong academic structure along with the ability to create better and more competitive athletes from Canada and where ever else in the world. Good Luck to all.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by Coach Philippe Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Hey Guys, thanks again for all the support.

As promised, here is a link to the North American Academy website which has now been updated:
    www.naacademy.org

Also, here is a link to the school's site which has a great virtual tour of the facilities:
    www.familyfirstacademy.org

Any questions or comments, you can reach me directly at: nbphilippe@hotmail.com

Thanks and enjoy the NBA Playoffs, should be a good one this year!

ReshawnW.5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by ReshawnW.5 Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Thanks coach!
    canadianhoopsfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2008-08-22

Post by canadianhoopsfan Sat May 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Jim Thomas was quoted saying that at least 20-25 kids from Ontario will be at NAA next year, who are they?
    petro
    petro
    Senior

Number of posts : 1021
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by petro Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Coach Phillipe

Oh... for years I've expressed my concerns/motives etc. about your colleague RR... but in the same breath... I won't prejudge you or put you in the same box.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

And please... if I can give one bit of advice... stay away from defending yourself against negative posters. Just keep your head down and focused on your goals and not in defending your resolve.
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Sun May 17, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for the note Petro. Overall everyone has been really positive, and it's
    good to see the Toronto, Ontario and the Canadian Basketball communities support what we're doing.

As far as players go, rosters will be released shortly in the next few weeks.

Any Hooptown GTA members on Facebook, feel free to join the North American Academy Group which will have regular updates on NAA: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=82081318268&ref=mf

and the NAA website which has regular updates and has recently been updated with a 360 degree virtual tour of the facilities on campus and more detailed Academic info: www.naacademy.org
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:27 am

Hey Guys, I've seen a couple of other posts asking about updates on the roster etc.

The reality is, we've been working extremely hard building a strong foundation and bringing in the best possible players from Canada, the U.S. and Overseas.

We are now very close to finalizing our rosters, and once we do, they will be posted in another Press release. I can say that all of our teams will be LOADED, and we will be Nationally competitive and have a chance at a National Championship in the 1st year based on the studs that we have at every position!

I can confirm we have elite players from across Canada, the U.S. (Ohio, NY, PA, CA, NJ), and Nigeria making us a truly International Program, and one that is poised to challenge the likes of Oak Hill, Findlay Prep etc for years to come!

We as a Coaching staff are extremely excited about the players that we have on board, and now it's just a matter of finalizing the admissions process for our players.

Thanks for your interest and support and look out for more details soon!

Coach Nate B. Philippe
    NAA-Head Coach, Prep Team
    gnote
    Freshman

Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by gnote Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:07 pm

at first it was made to sound like an all canadian school...doesnt soiund that way anymore
    dhoward12
    Freshman

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2008-09-12

Post by dhoward12 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:39 am

how can I get into this school?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:55 pm