HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+23
rdh2
foreveryoung
hoopsCanada
postup
futurebigtimecoach
Peel Fan
PKballer
sba123
stevelogan92
rerun
Inside the lines
geno23
Eagle1
coachblue
jt
CentreCourt
Tila_Tequila
tek23
TygaTy
RealTalksz
coachc
Xavier Rimrocker
WaterBadgers
27 posters

AAA OFSAA

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

AAA OFSAA - Page 2 Empty Re: AAA OFSAA

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:39 pm

stevelogan92 wrote:Ascension, the team Loyola Oakville has to play for the AAA OFSAA birth, had to have a play in game against Sandalwood just to get into the Peel playoffs. Ascension has been recognized as an HM by this website. How many of the top 25 teams in the GTA had to play a tie breaker game to make it into their league play offs? This point speaks for the competiveness and depth of that one division compared to the other division in Ontario.

Very well put. That is the point that a number of posters seem to miss. No one is arguing that Peel contains all of the best teams in the province. The argument is that no league has more depth and that Peel North is the most competitive division in the province, with 6 teams all capable of beating each other, even though it includes the top 2 teams in the league.
    WaterBadgers
    Freshman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2010-02-15

Post by WaterBadgers Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:45 pm

stevelogan92 wrote:Jt,

Waterbadgers,

I think you are mistaken about the "hype" being discussed. Nobody from Peel has claimed that every team in Peel North can whip any other team in the province. The claim is simply that 6 teams in Peel North have more meaningful games within their own division. Loyola Oakville truthfully has how many teams capable of upsetting them in their division? Im guessing not alot. Durham has the overall depth comparable to Peel but there teams are spread out in their divisions. TDCAA and Toronto public have their top teams spread out in different divisions aswell. York region is nowhere close.

Ascension, the team Loyola Oakville has to play for the AAA OFSAA birth, had to have a play in game against Sandalwood just to get into the Peel playoffs. Ascension has been recognized as an HM by this website. How many of the top 25 teams in the GTA had to play a tie breaker game to make it into their league play offs? This point speaks for the competiveness and depth of that one division compared to the other division in Ontario.

i would certainly like to agree with you except two of loyolas 4 losses on the season came in league play. you underestimate the competitiveness of the halton league. 4 teams were capable of winning the region, loyola happened to pull it out. nelson burlington is no slouch by any means, and holy trinity beat loyola early in the year when they were at full strength. also sta oakville who just beat acmt to advance to AA ofsaa is a very good squad. they happened to be the defending champs of AA ofsaa. so you are mistaken with the strength and capability of halton teams. this years final was a dogfight between loyola and nelson. i agress that peel north is a tough division, but you cannot knock on the halton division as it is very competitive as well. besides the fact loyola has beaten all teams from peel that have been put in front of them, even the top 3!
    geno23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2009-11-24

Post by geno23 Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:35 pm

sba123 wrote:
    rerun wrote:Geno23,

What was the score in the LOSSA triple a championship with Anderson? Who did they beat in the final?

It was a good game Anderson was expected to kill Father Leo Austin, but Austin did pretty good but Anderson won 85-80 in OT! Very exciting game!

this. Austin was a HUNGRY team, they work way harder than Anderson and truth be told I wish they would've won. Anderson though, I mean behind Pierre and Edwards, who are each top players in their classes, they're tough to beat. The team isn't very deep though, I wouldn't expect Anderson to do well in OFSAA despite Edwards and Pierre being so far ahead of the competition. They'll probably be an early out, but than again, they may surprise some people too.
    PKballer
    Freshman

Number of posts : 7
    Registration date : 2010-01-19

Post by PKballer Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:20 am

WaterBadgers wrote:[
    i would certainly like to agree with you except two of loyolas 4 losses on the season came in league play. you underestimate the competitiveness of the halton league. 4 teams were capable of winning the region, loyola happened to pull it out. nelson burlington is no slouch by any means, and holy trinity beat loyola early in the year when they were at full strength. also sta oakville who just beat acmt to advance to AA ofsaa is a very good squad. they happened to be the defending champs of AA ofsaa. so you are mistaken with the strength and capability of halton teams. this years final was a dogfight between loyola and nelson. i agress that peel north is a tough division, but you cannot knock on the halton division as it is very competitive as well. besides the fact loyola has beaten all teams from peel that have been put in front of them, even the top 3!

yeah the games may be close but the point trying to be made is that in Peel North every team has the capability to beat every other team in the division. ALL of the teams in that one division would certainly be at the top of any other division should they play somewhere else. Halton has loyola at the top consistently, and no other school in that division is on par with them at all times. In peel however, it wouldn't be a major upset if the lowest ranking team in that division beat the highest ranking team because all of the teams are on a VERY similar level, but in Halton it would not be expected that a low ranking team would be able to overcome Loyola. Peel's competitiveness is above every other leagues.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:46 am

Most leagues have three or four teams capable of making the finals each season. However, Peel had 11 or 12 this year. That is why it was the deepest league in the province.
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Peel Fan,

I agree with your assessment in terms of the quality of teams within the division...the added dimension of local rivalries and local bragging rights. No doubt there is a lot of talent in North Peel. However, that Peel North Division was very competitive within ROPSAA....but Campion and D'youville were the only teams to really demonstrate anything outside of league play. Notre Dame, Fletcher Meadows and the others did not do much outside of that. There is no proof that if Notre Dame or Fletchers played in Toronto Catholic, Toronto South or Durham that they would take out teams like Eastern, Oakwood, Jarvis in Toronto South...Pickering, J Clarke, Pine Ridge in Durham and so on. They have no wins over quality teams accept within Peel North Divisional Play. Their tournament play was not exactly great...Notre Dame made the Rimrocker Final....however this year's rimrocker did not have as strong a field like in past years.

Secondly, if 11 or 12 teams were capable of making the finals....how come the usual supsects were in their usual spots.....Father Goetz, St. Edmund Campion, St. Marguerite D'Youville. It might be deep but it sure looks like the usual suspects. Hey, I'm not from Peel....this is my humble opinion from an outsider looking in.
    futurebigtimecoach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2009-11-03

Post by futurebigtimecoach Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:08 pm

i agree. it might be the deepest division in the province, but the two best teams campion and dyouville have not been top 5 all year, meaning there suceptible to losses in their division cause there just not that good.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:01 pm

rerun wrote:Campion and D'youville were the only teams to really demonstrate anything outside of league play. Notre Dame, Fletcher Meadows and the others did not do much outside of that. There is no proof that if Notre Dame or Fletchers played in Toronto Catholic, Toronto South or Durham that they would take out teams like Eastern, Oakwood, Jarvis in Toronto South...Pickering, J Clarke, Pine Ridge in Durham and so on.

Using assumed results against the elite of the province is not an argument against the depth of Peel. By that standard no league in the province has depth.

BTW, Jarvis finished fourth in a tournament where the top two teams were from Peel, neither of which made the league finals and one of which was a #8 seed. Jarvis lost to the Peel #8 seed. (And, in case the argument is made that Jarvis is a better team now, so are the two Peel teams in question.)
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 pm

[quote="futurebigtimecoach"]i agree. it might be the deepest division in the province, but the two best teams campion and dyouville have not been top 5 all year, meaning there suceptible to losses in their division cause there just not that good.[/quote]

Just not that good to whose standard? Yours? All because your a Loyola Oakville fan. Yes they have had a great season. But being "suceptible" to losses does not mean you are a "not so good" team. Henry Carr lost to Michael Power...Does that make them a not so good team? Didn't Loyola Oakville lose in their division? Based on your point of view that would make Loyola Oakville a not so good team.
    WaterBadgers
    Freshman

Post by WaterBadgers Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Loyola Oakville advances to AAA OFSAA with a 77-74 victory over ascension. spirited effort by the eagles but not enough. good luck to the hawks at AAA OFSAA!!!
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:28 pm

So how was the game for anyone who watched it? Looks like a really close score, was it that close all game or what? I figured Loyola would have beaten Ascension by more considering Loyola beat D'Y and Campion by more and those teams are stronger than Ascension.

By the way how did Bikram Gill (tall indian guy) play for Ascension?
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Post by Peel Fan Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:30 pm

futurebigtimecoach wrote:i agree. it might be the deepest division in the province, but the two best teams campion and dyouville have not been top 5 all year, meaning there suceptible to losses in their division cause there just not that good.

Hmmm, Loyola has been in the top five all year and is the likely number one seed at AAA OFSAA. They beat Ascension, a team that had to play a tie-breaker just to make the Peel playoffs by three points at home.

Campion beat Oakwook and MT before losing to Carr by 2 at the St. Mike's tournament.

Tell me again how no one in the division is any good.
    jt
    Sophomore

Post by jt Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:38 pm

True True, see how tough Peel North is, Ascension barely snuck in with last play-off spot and then they almost beat a GTA Top 5 team.
    postup
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2010-02-19

Post by postup Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:10 pm

As a spectator who watched the game through loyola's website I give respect to Ascension who battled all game long. Loyola started the game off hot and had much breathing room throughtout. Although respectively Ascension made a push near the end of the 4th however it was too late. Ascension's zone seemed much too weak for a deadly shooting team like Loyola. They were simply the better team, nonetheless a great effort from a scrappy Ascension squad.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 pm

We (Ascension) did not start well but we were always in the game. We were down by 8 at half and had chances in the 4th quarter to get even. A real turning point was a (questionable?) call on charge that would have tied the game with 2:00 to go. Instead, no basket, and Loyola scores on the next possession. Part of the game - ref told me that the defender had established position, certainly looked different to me but I respect his call. Bikram Gill had an outstanding game. I spoke with the head coach of the U of T team after the game and he was really impressed with Bikram's game.

Loyola is certainly a very good team and capable of beating anyone with their deadly shooting. We did not play a traditional zone at all but instead played a match-up system.

Congrats to my guys for a great effort. I am disappointed that we had to play the crossover against GHAC Loyola - we are probably a better squad than many of the teams that will be at AAA OFSAA but that is the way it is. We should have just about everyone back next year and we have some nice juniors on the way up.

Good luck to Campion and DY at AAAA OFSAAA.

Coach M
    hoopsCanada
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2010-01-12

Post by hoopsCanada Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Great game today, Loyola is a great team and their guard play is phenomenal. Both teams fought hard til the very end... Loyola didn't have a real answer for Bikram Gill, great game. How old are these kids on Loyola ? any commitments out of any of their players for next year?

Hopefully this proves the depth of "north" peel and the division.

Good game, good season and good luck to the Hawks at OFSAA.
    foreveryoung
    Freshman

Number of posts : 57
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by foreveryoung Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:29 pm

loyola could be returning 4 out of the 5 starters and getting back a starter from last year who had a injury

troy stevenson can go anywhere he would like in canada
    mike andrews is being hunted down everyday by the toronto schools and various other schools

adam persutti according to the hoop-la thomas report is staying back and is being recruityed by ottawa mac and uoft

coach of the eagles i was at the game and #21 on loyola actually sat in the key for 4 seconds before your player ran into him questionable of course in your opinion ....your the coach....

loyola would of won by 10 if they hit there free throws down the line an embarrasing 1-9 ish or 1-7 which you can all agree would usually be 8-9 or 7-7

anything is possible in these wild ghac play ins this does no justice for peel north these games are played with pure heart and the outcome is just who wants it more

i give credit to number 24 on acension he scored atleast 25 and bikram just sat in the block and put in easy lay ups nothing special
    WaterBadgers
    Freshman

Post by WaterBadgers Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:31 pm

eagle the turning point was your boys had better legs then loyola near the end. for some reason their defence was nonexistant and that allowed your sort of come back. also missed free throws, i counted 7 caused you guys to come back. that was a definite charge, the loyola player was set for atleast 2 secs. a great game though you should be proud of your boys. i also do not agree with the system how ghac has to play against ropssaa. where is bikram going next year? is he returning for a 5th?
    jt
    Sophomore

Post by jt Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Eagle1, word of advice I have seen a couple of your games this year and you really need to change that PG of yours. I forgot his number, the guy who isn't too tall, but man he loses the ball on almost every possession or just about has it stolen off him. He is so slow like he playing in slow motion, you really need someone fast to come up from junior, because trust me with him, you guys aren't going anywhere.
    Eagle1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by Eagle1 Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 pm

foreveryoung and waterbadgers ... I respect your opinion on the "charge". It was on my side of the court and I looked at the tape - close call - the defender WAS in the key but was still in the process of sliding over when contact was made. Nevertheless, you have to accept the ref's call and I give Loyola full credit - they are a great team. As for missed free throws, we also had our share ....

foreveryoung - I would disagree that Gill did "nothing special" If that were the case, why would the head coach of the University of Toronto approach me after the game specifically to ask about him? Just because he can make it look "easy" does not mean it was "nothing special".

Bikram will likely play a fifth year. He will only get better as he physically matures.

jt - I guess you are trying to stir the pot. I won't criticize any of my players here. Everyone did their best.

Coach M
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Imagine if Mr. Rouse decided to stay at Ascension. How dangerous the tandem of Bikram and Brian Rouse would have been. I guess what they say about Ascension is correct " They never lose players, they only reload" lol.

Even with a big loss like that Eagle1 you still managed to stay competetive. Good Job.
    coachc
    Freshman

Number of posts : 130
    Registration date : 2008-08-29

Post by coachc Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 am

Anyone know the last two representatives for AAA ofsaa?

Sir Robert Borden - NCSSAA
    Frontenac - EOSSA
    Dr. Dennison - YRAA
    St. Joes - EOSSA #2
    St. Theresa - GBSSA
    Anderson - LOSSA
    Martingrove - TDSSAA #1
    I.E. Weldon - COSSA
    Orchard Park - SOSSA
    Jarvis - TDSSAA #2
    North Park - CWOSSA
    West Ferris - NOSSA
    Loyola - GHAC
    Oakridge - WOSSA
    Sarnia Northern??? - SWOSSA
    TDCAA/CISSA????
    rdh2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-03-04

Post by rdh2 Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:04 am

SWOSSAA will be determined tonight. Sarnia Northern play at Windsor Riverside at 7pm.
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Coach Mike Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:04 pm

TDCAA is Senator O'Connor... they qualified for OFSAA by beating UCC

Last edited by Coach Mike on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Still Sleeping when I posted)
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Coach Mike wrote:TDCAA is Father Redmond... they qualified for OFSAA by beating UCC

Are you sure, Coach? I thought Senator O'Connor was the AAA team from the TDCAA.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content