HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+12
Mu2
GC
MikeOBA
dybball
NBAC
Xavier Rimrocker
Mr Bean
OuthereBaller
Dunbarton Coach Deighan
SeekTalent
Prime Time
Coach Clement
16 posters

Mother Teresa Jr. Tournament - Results

Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Mother Teresa Jr. Tournament - Results - Page 3 Empty Re: Mother Teresa Jr. Tournament - Results

Post by Coach Clement Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:03 am

That's a winning philosophy Coach.

Hopefully the tough games do help make your team better moving forward!
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Mother Teresa Jr. Tournament - Results - Page 3 Empty Re: Mother Teresa Jr. Tournament - Results

Post by Coach Clement Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:08 am

MikeOBA wrote:How come yaaace's big man from last year got no playing time on E.C

Do you mean Justin? He arrived late for the game and that was likely the reason his minutes were reduced. "No playing time" is an exaggeration.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Coach Clement wrote:
    MikeOBA wrote:How come yaaace's big man from last year got no playing time on E.C

Do you mean Justin? He arrived late for the game and that was likely the reason his minutes were reduced. "No playing time" is an exaggeration.

i was surprised Justin Jackson was the first sub in that game he arrived late for. Another teammate from EC who showed up late in the 2nd quarter also saw playing time which is another surprise. I'm hoping there's some disciplinary action going on this week regarding lates.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:07 pm

OMG this is getting out of control do Carr coaches just go around and scout Brampton players all day, look who we have as a tournament 1st team all star from Carr "Marcus BonnicK" that guy was playing on louise arbor the new brampton school last year. Now all of a sudden he is at Carr too???

By the way the other tournament 1st team all star "Lemar Copeland" and tournament MVP "Jalen Poyser" are both PEEL brampton players haha man Rexdale must be so whack for players that Carrs whole team almost lives in the 905.
    Mu2
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 390
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by Mu2 Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 pm

lol, JT don't forget about 'TY'

Post by Guest Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:48 pm

jt wrote:OMG this is getting out of control do Carr coaches just go around and scout Brampton players all day, look who we have as a tournament 1st team all star from Carr "Marcus BonnicK" that guy was playing on louise arbor the new brampton school last year. Now all of a sudden he is at Carr too???

By the way the other tournament 1st team all star "Lemar Copeland" and tournament MVP "Jalen Poyser" are both PEEL brampton players haha man Rexdale must be so whack for players that Carrs whole team almost lives in the 905.

maybe something needs to be done about this "open transfer" business?
    JackieMoon33
    Freshman

Number of posts : 105
    Registration date : 2010-04-16

Post by JackieMoon33 Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Word is Justin Jackson will be at Vaughn Road/Phase Academy next year
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2010-05-23

Post by actionjackson Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 am

jackpurcell wrote:
    jt wrote:OMG this is getting out of control do Carr coaches just go around and scout Brampton players all day, look who we have as a tournament 1st team all star from Carr "Marcus BonnicK" that guy was playing on louise arbor the new brampton school last year. Now all of a sudden he is at Carr too???

French courses are available at all schools, but a student interested in pursuing french at a higher level can transfer to a french immersion school and that is acceptable.

So why do we not accept when a student who is passionate about basketball transfers to a school that shares the same passion?

I would encourage any student that is talented and has a passion for the game to transfer from a tier 2 program to one of the top programs in the province.
    Is it just me or is this a no brainer?

The real question is.... How are these transfer rules helping the sport as a whole?

Elite players cannot develop playing against tier 2 competition, and no top level tournaments.

I read on another thread where a coach was explaining the budget and what is available for the basketball program. It was pathetic. If I had children with talent in basketball, I would not want them to go to that school.

The transfer rules should be in place the same way they are for academics in order to help the students who wish to continue with basketball after high school.

Post by Guest Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 am

actionjackson wrote:
    jackpurcell wrote:

French courses are available at all schools, but a student interested in pursuing french at a higher level can transfer to a french immersion school and that is acceptable.

So why do we not accept when a student who is passionate about basketball transfers to a school that shares the same passion?

I would encourage any student that is talented and has a passion for the game to transfer from a tier 2 program to one of the top programs in the province.
    Is it just me or is this a no brainer?

The real question is.... How are these transfer rules helping the sport as a whole?

Elite players cannot develop playing against tier 2 competition, and no top level tournaments.

I read on another thread where a coach was explaining the budget and what is available for the basketball program. It was pathetic. If I had children with talent in basketball, I would not want them to go to that school.

The transfer rules should be in place the same way they are for academics in order to help the students who wish to continue with basketball after high school.

But then theres another question of French not being a competitive sport and basketball on the other hand is. How many schools are there in the GTA that actively participates in "french competitions" compared to basketball? In the Ontario education system we stress so much on fair play but turn around an "recruit" players and stack up teams.
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Post by actionjackson Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:52 pm

I think you are jumping to conclusions that schools are "recruiting" athletes.

My guess is that the students and their parents are taking it upon themselves to put the athlete in the best situations for them.

If a child is a gifted piano player or a gifted dancer, then the parents should find the best situation for their child ie a school of the arts. Same thing should go for academics and sports!

There are a handful of great basketball programs in the GTA. Why not take advantage of them if you desire to get better and develop into a better player?

Is it "fair" for the elite athletes to be coach by teacher/volunteers, practice with less talented players and play against mediocre competition? Where a kid lives shouldn't determine who and where the kids develops their game.

What other country in the world thinks like this? That's why Canada sucks on the international stage.

Every sport should be in a tiered system. Tier 1 for serious athletes and Tier 2 for those who want "fair play". Then open it up for Tier 1 so athletes can choose which school they want to go to and which program they want to be a part of.

jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm

haha oh man is ty stewart also at Carr now?? That guy was on DY last year too. Let me guess he moved to Rexdale too haha. But seriously tho I bet the entire Carr Junior Team is from Brampton. Does anyone know how these guys even get to and from school everyday from brampton to toronto. Wow it must take them a lot of time.

I would be really cheesed if I was a Carr player living around the school and all the team spots were being taken up by outsiders that aren't even from my city.

What do Carr coaches have to say about this. Seems like the problem is getting worse and worse every year. Why don't we just put Carr in the Peel District Board. Any comments Melnik??

Post by Guest Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:12 am

actionjackson wrote:I think you are jumping to conclusions that schools are "recruiting" athletes.

My guess is that the students and their parents are taking it upon themselves to put the athlete in the best situations for them.

If a child is a gifted piano player or a gifted dancer, then the parents should find the best situation for their child ie a school of the arts. Same thing should go for academics and sports!

There are a handful of great basketball programs in the GTA. Why not take advantage of them if you desire to get better and develop into a better player?

Is it "fair" for the elite athletes to be coach by teacher/volunteers, practice with less talented players and play against mediocre competition? Where a kid lives shouldn't determine who and where the kids develops their game.

What other country in the world thinks like this? That's why Canada sucks on the international stage.

Every sport should be in a tiered system. Tier 1 for serious athletes and Tier 2 for those who want "fair play". Then open it up for Tier 1 so athletes can choose which school they want to go to and which program they want to be a part of.

I'm sorry but the last time i checked these were student-athelets. Student first, Athletes second. Sure its nice to have a good group of kids but as someone mentioned earlier, when u have guys from out of town coming in to a school, its taking away opportunities from the kids originally from that school. It's become a huge equity issue as these are the kids who may not be able to afford to play club ball and can't afford to move around.
    TommyH17
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by TommyH17 Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:23 pm

These players met the OFFSAA transfer policy?????

Every student who has been registered as a transfer from another school within the previous twelve (12) months is ineligible for OFSAAsanctioned
    events, unless he/she appeals and is deemed eligible by the OFSAA Board of Reference – Transfers under one of the four
    following sections.

There has been an accompanying change in permanent residence by the student and his/her immediate family to the □
    designated school from any system (public, catholic or independent) according to school board boundaries (or is the
    closest school in the student’s choice of school system to the student’s home if no school boundaries exist). Immediate
    family is the parent(s) or the student’s legal guardian as determined by a court of competent jurisdiction. The student
    and his/her immediate family must completely and permanently move from the former residence. The student must provide
    evidence/documentation confirming that they are residing in a new permanent residence, and evidence/documentation that
    they have completely and permanently moved from the former residence.

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:09 pm

OFSAA transfer policy only applies to the OFSAA eligibility of players in grade ten or higher who transfesr from one high school to another. Anything else (league play, exhibition, non-OFSAA sanctioned tournaments, and incoming grade 9's) is regulated by each region's individual policies.
    TommyH17
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2011-12-07

Post by TommyH17 Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks RImrocker!... do you know if a student come from a different region and comes to GTA, can a student choose any schools? is there any boundaries? can he/she play basketball for the season or sideline for first whole season ?
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:39 pm

School choices are not regulated by sports; they are regulated by each school board's residency policy. Most boards permit students from outside of their geographic boundaries, as long as there is space.

Playing sports is a different issue. Boundaries are important in determining transfer eligibility. A player who legitimately moves from one school's boundaries to another can play for the new school without sitting out. There are other exemptions, the most common of which is not playing that sport at the high school level the previous 12 months, but moving is the most common reason to allow immediate eligibility.

All of these transfer rules only apply to students currently in high school transferring to another school. Students entering grade 9 have far fewer limitations. While ROPSSAA has a two year old rule that forces grade 9s to sit out a season if they are playing out of boundary (with the exception of regional programs, siblings already at the high school in question, and documented academic, safety, or IPRC reasons) most regions do not. So when people complain about schools breaking the rules for admitting new grade 9s from outside their zone there are actually no rules in place to breaking. (I'm not talking about the philosophical issues surrounding recruiting in high school, just the rules on paper.)
    GC
    Freshman

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2011-03-09

Post by GC Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Why is there so much complaining? If you are as good a coach, as good a team, as good a school, then the players will come. If the players aren't coming, then maybe you aren't as good a coach, as good a team, or as good a school. GET IT STRAIGHT. IT'S YOU! MAN UP.
    actionjackson
    Freshman

Post by actionjackson Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:13 am

Its not the coaches complaining.

Every year its the same uninformed goofs that like to run their mouth and start trouble. I've been reading this board for a few years, long before I registered and its the same thing every year.

There is serious "hating" going on for certain school programs and also prep programs and I really don't understand why.

There are thousands of basketball players in the GTA and 20 of the best want to fill the rosters at a couple of schools..... big deal! That still leaves thousands of players for the other schools. Everyone else should be motivated to go out and beat them and stop the crying. To be the best, you gotta beat the best.

If a kid from out of town came to my school, I would work harder and try to still make the team. If I'm not good enough, there is always plan B..... West Humber or NACI

Last edited by actionjackson on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:25 pm