HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+16
laszlo
THE ROASTA
unknown1
two3-higher than a star
baller1o1
DatBaller15
SprinklerDude323
kiddddo
Tila_Tequila
OnlyTheTruth
TorontoBasketball
TAJ
skip2myloupt2
azn_hobo
Coach Bob
EYE OF A TIGER
20 posters

Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West?

Poll

Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West?

[ 30 ]
    Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_left44%Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 19 ]
    Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_left28%Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_right [28%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_left7%Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_left7%Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_left3%Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_right [3%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_left4%Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_right [4%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_left6%Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Bar_right [6%] 

Total Votes: 68
    TAJ
    Freshman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West?

Post by TAJ Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:15 am

'EYE OF A TIGER'

I like the way you have made your choices. But I think, Harvey might go a place up if they win their next game. Obviously, they will tie Runnymede so the organizer will look at the f/a to decide the order of standing.
    Therefore, if Harvey goes 2nd place the whole scenario will change.
    Harvey will play West Humber (Harvey beat Humber 3 times I believe)
    Runnymede will play NACI (I think Rummy will win that battle)

Semi: Runny vs Vaughan & Harvey vs Martingrove

(According to standing Vaughan and Martingrove looks the best of the bunch. But anything might happen. Therefore, I will only predict upto semi)

What do you think will be the finals?
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will WIN the TDSB Toronto West?

Post by kiddddo Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:38 am

[quote="OnlyTheTruth"]Just cause im telling "The Truth" about a school doesnt mean i attend it :S.. everyone was saying the same things about Martingrove last year oh they went perfect there going to lose when they play runneymede anyways.. blowout.. oh soft soft there gonna lose to vaughn road for sure Abriham James is the truth.. they beat them ... this year there is no Abriham James.. so EYE OF THE TIGER before you start opening your mouth about whos going to beat who think about the past and how Martingrove has reacted to the sh*t talking and then think about who is going to win.. And dont say that someone goes to the school just cause they defend a school because they think they are the stronger team out of the whole division... stop talking like a kid and grow up and just face the facts.. Martingrove is the favourite to win and i think they will come through and win and maybe return to OFSSAA[/quote]

oh please for years i think Vaughan Road been hated on more, but they always seem to prove themselves in the middle of the season. Im not saying the hate for them is not there, it is, just feel Vaughan Rd catches it earlier on i the season, while Martingrove catches it later on. Martingrove just proved themselves one time, the years before that they talked so much sh*t, then caught a 40 point blowout in the semi's. Think about it, have you seen Vaughan Rd. on the Pre-season 16, even a HM in the past 2 seasons since Alex Johnson and the rest left? Nope. Last year Martingrove was the clear-uncontested favorite, but got a little shocker at Vaughan Rd's own tourni. I think this is a great rivalry, great for basketball in the west. I never made a prediction because i have no clue what could happen. Martingrove was the Pre-season #9, & Vaughan Rd is the current #8. Martingrove Beat Western Tech & Centeral Commerce while Vaughan Rd lost to both. Both team have had great games against Top 10 teams, showing that there not a joke. It's going to be a great math-up, which i think ill share with you guy's.

Provided by HooptownGTA:
    Martingrove

Matthew Wright, Gr.12, 6’3, G
    Stevan Manojlovic, Gr.12, 6’4, G
    Mohamed Osman, Gr.12, 6’5, F
    Troy Mcdonald, Gr.12, 6’3, F
    Justin Bakuteka, Gr.12, 6’2, G

Vaughn Rd.

Marvin Toussaint, Gr.12, 5'11, PG
    Thelius Chambers, Gr.12, 6'3, G/F
    Jacob Zorzella, Gr.12, 6'0, G/F
    Leo Martin Jr., Gr.12, 6'0, G
    David Gouldbourne, Gr. 11, 6’5, F

I think that the key match-up of that game would be between Marvin Toussaint(VRA) & Matthew Wright(MCI). Matthew is a great offensive player, who could really lead a comeback. Marvin didn't get to finish last season, and drives & kicks the ball effectively and plays real hard on the defensive end.

The X-Factors are the athletes Justin Bakuteka(MCI) & Jacob Zorzella(VRA). I got to see all these players play at the MT tourni. Just like the key matchup, Justin can score the ball is so many different ways, but love the drive the most. Jacob plays with alot of emotion and athleticism, and is a leader on the fast-break.

I think that this is a classic Offense(MCI) vs. Defense(VRA) game. To me, this is too close to call.......
    unknown1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2008-09-14

Post by unknown1 Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:56 pm

do remember that marvin and leo did not play in last years championship game
    well guess what this year there they will be there
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Number of posts : 157
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by OnlyTheTruth Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Kiddddoo i dont know what you are talking about how Vaughn Road has been hated more.. They have won the Toronto West how many times in a row before last year...Martingrove has been the team to talk about just because they won last year and everyone believes that was a fluke so they decide to talk . and say that Vaughn Road who they lost to last year in a tourney because of some bad last SECOND call by a bad ref .. get your facts right before you start saying that they lost fairly .. will beat them .. but i do give Vaughn Road credit for such a small team to be such an competitive and team to look out for got to give them some credit.. Vaughn Road is a nice team .. i could say that they play with the most heart out of every team in the West.. but yeah as i said i still think that Martingrove will beat them and i WILL stand by that .. Martingrove over Vaughn Road +10...
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 pm

you read the negatives i wrote, ill use a direct quote i said
    "Think about it, have you seen Vaughan Rd. on the Pre-season 16, even a HM in the past 2 seasons since Alex Johnson and the rest left?"

Have you? Do your reaserch?
    and when i talk about Martingrove, you seem to get so offensive, i think you a bear. It's ll goo, i love good argument.

only thing i have to say about what you just said is that you cant blame ref's. It happens, everytime a team looses, they like to blame it on the refs, but you have to digg deep down inside and just admit that they were the better team that day, and if Vaughan Road wasn't so good, it wouldnt of been close in the first place.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:44 pm

.. I never said Vaughn Road is a good team.. and why bring up that game anyways.. less then 10 seconds left and your going call a handcheck or blocking foul when your on the other side of the court.. when its a 1 point game.. not the refs fault... you be the judge of that..
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:51 pm

see that's how i know you weren't at the game because with Vaughan up by 1, Marvin Toussaint stole the ball from Matthew Wright, and without a choice, he fouled. Vaughan made both free-throw's, and on the next Martingrove possesion Steven Manojlovic missed a 3 to tie the game with no time left.

your story, i dont know who told you that.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:14 pm

So your a Vaughn Road "kid" ehh.. lol Martingrove was up 1 and then the black guy on Martingove forgot his name .. he got called for some stupied foul and i think he got fouled out... then they were up 1 .. they wouldnt have been up 1 in the first place if the ref didnt make that stupied call ...
    THE ROASTA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by THE ROASTA Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:06 pm

WOW...LMAO

i was reading this thread and i guess "EYE OF A TIGER" is the bad guy, but he has some really good pionts and fair arguments ( "D-Fence win Championships")

also i agree with him on "OnlyTheTruth" is for sure from Grove....

I SMELL A BEAR...u seem offended when they criticize Martingrove and how would you know so clear a Tournament that i believe was last year in Nov (LAST YEAR AS IN 2007)

EXPOSED!!!!

~IM OUT. ROASTA~
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:59 am

[quote="OnlyTheTruth"]So your a Vaughn Road "kid" ehh.. lol Martingrove was up 1 and then the black guy on Martingove forgot his name .. he got called for some stupied foul and i think he got fouled out... then they were up 1 .. they wouldnt have been up 1 in the first place if the ref didnt make that stupied call ...[/quote]

No OnlyTheTruth, I'm not a Vaughan Road "Kid", and i would like not to be called a kid seeing Ive just turned 20 years on age on the 19th. I have no problem telling you a little about myself at all, like I said, I love a good argument. I use to play for George Harvey, and yes, I was present when we played Martingrove last year at the Vaughan Road tournament, we played Martingrove first round. I was there at the finals. The reason why I remember it so clearly is because that game, probably was the determining factor of me enrolling at Humber Collage, and currently studying journalism. That game was exciting, from start, to finish, as well as the Championship game. High School basketball is very under rated, and believe that there's a bucket-full of talented athletes, in the GTA. I have aspirations of one day, starting my own web-site, on a Toronto-only line of work. It would include City, GTA, & Provencal rankings, along with a Toronto Players Directory, which would allow players to post videos of themselves, for scouts and many others to view. If you notice in my posts, most of the things I write about, is about Toronto West. That's because I've started there, growing and seeing a lot of the current stars of the division when they were still spring flowers. "OnlyTheTruth", no hard feeling, and in no way am I trying to knock Martingrove at all. I like there team over the past years since adding, then 10th grader Matthew Wright, along with the always strong coaching of Shawn Gray. I'm not going to stop my overall posts, but i think i should stop bickering with you, because I feel like your a very loyal fan, if not a very loyal student. I would like to apologize for the comment about you being a "bear", it was uncalled for, and i think lead you to believe i was from Vaughan Road. It's nice to see that there are people around, that care a lot about the sport, the players, & the participating schools. I hope with my plan's, i get to share to people that are opinionated, and have the amount of enthusiasm, as my fellow peers, on this site.
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 pm

This is a update of something I posted on my "Toronto West Update" thread, a few week's back:

TOP TEAM PREVIEW

It looks like the two finalists, from last year Toronto West Championship, will both finish 10-0 following two big games. Last week, Martingrove showed outright, there the best in the North-West with a big win over North Albion, 74-58. Justin Bakutika had the game high of 24pts, while Jason David netted 21pts, in the loosing cause. In yesterday's action, Vaughan Road had an impressive win over the new-&-improved George Harvey squad, 63-50. Jonathan Reynolds had the game-high 17pts, while Fidel Benjamin of Harvey had 15pts.

Martingrove, who is led by the arguably best player in the west, Matthew Wright, is averaging a scorching 79.6ppg, and allowing 50.1ppg, with 2 games remaining. Justin Bakutika is also having an outstanding first season for the Bears, on route to another undefeated season.

Vaughan Road, like last year, is a team without height, but makes-up for it with there scrappy defense. Led by tough defenders Jacob Zorzella & Marvin Toussaint, the Vipers are allowing a cool 41.2ppg, while netting exactly 61ppg, with 1 games remaining.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:41 pm

Its all good Kiddddo arguments are always fun .. lol but respect for being the bigger man and putting a end to that.. but yeah for the toronto west for some reason i have a strong feeling there is going to be some serious upsets.. Should make it interesting ..
    TAJ
    Freshman

Post by TAJ Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Good Way to end an ardument. Kiddo: it's nice to see u standin up for urself. Hope your dreams becomes a success. Wink
    OnlyTheTruth: I feel the same way, we might see an upset. Maybe, that's what makes basketball interesting, when an underdog beats the best.
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:10 pm

Personally,
    I would never call Martingove underdogs, they have been ranked ahead of Vaughan Road most of the season. Due to the MT tournament, that's changed a lot, but i have both teams on the same plate. Like i said before, I think that this is a classic Offense(MCI) vs. Defense(VRA) game. To me, this is too close to call.
    kiddddo
    Freshman

Post by kiddddo Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:13 pm

Playoff Brackets- #1's have Clinched Home Court Advantage

#4 Silverthorn @ #1 Martingrove
    #3 Weston @ #2 George Harvey

#4 West Humber @ #1 Vaughan Road
    #3 Runnymede @ #2 North Albion
    laszlo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by laszlo Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:20 pm

martingrove vs vaughan road makes for a great final.

martingrove has size but lacks a good bench.
    vaughan road plays great D but lacks size.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Martingrove Vs Vaughn Road would be an amazing match up.. but I think that could change.. We have to remember not to sleep on NACI and George Harvey.. Vaughn Road will have to beat NACI and Martingrove will have to beat George Harvey... as much as we would like to see Vaughn Road and Martingrove battle it out again ... NACI and George Harvey are hungry for a championship as well... and them both being the underdogs i think they have MUCH more to prove and are more hungry for that championship..
    23Insidescoop23
    23Insidescoop23
    Freshman

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2009-02-07

Post by 23Insidescoop23 Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:42 pm

i think people our going to be suprised by the team that wins the west, i just dont think martingrove is goin to win it again dis year
    two3-higher than a star
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-11-04

Post by two3-higher than a star Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:42 pm

its gonna b a repeat of last years final ....guaranteed !!! no other team will bang with martingrove or vaughn road their both really talented....
    EYE OF A TIGER
    Freshman

Number of posts : 161
    Registration date : 2008-07-22

Post by EYE OF A TIGER Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:18 pm

ATTENTION PLEASE!!!!............ATTENTION PLEASE!!!!!.......

DONT TAKE WEST HUMBER LIGHTLY!!!

they have all there players back from akedemic reasons ........West Humber will be strong like i tried to say in the begining of the year.......How strong?....i dont know because of Chemistry reason's only playing with each other for the last 2 season games (TCI win by like 70 and a HUGE NACI win by like 15)

im not saying they'll beat Harvey but it wont be a blowout
    THE ROASTA
    Freshman

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2009-01-28

Post by THE ROASTA Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Playoff Brackets- #1's have Clinched Home Court Advantage

#4 Silverthorn @ #1 Martingrove
    #3 West Humber @ #2 George Harvey

#4 Weston @ #1 Vaughan Road
    #3 Runnymede @ #2 North Albion

This is what i see:

Martingrove vs. George Harvey

WINNER: George Harvey with an UPSET. George Harvey is hungry and i believe they will win because of there depth

Vaughn Road vs. North Albion

WINNER: Vaughn Road only because of there leadership in Jacob Z. and Marvin T.
    OnlyTheTruth
    Freshman

Post by OnlyTheTruth Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 pm

I think that Westhumber will knock out George Harvey ... NACI over Runneymede.. Vaughn Road Over Weston .. and Martingrove Over Silverthorn.. After that i dont no just depends on how much the team wants it.. its playoffs anything can happen dont sleep on any team and dont get to confident for any team .. Go Hard Or Go Home..
    TAJ
    Freshman

Post by TAJ Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:12 pm

any west updates for todays playoffs?
    skip2myloupt2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Post by skip2myloupt2 Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Last edited by skip2myloupt2 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    skip2myloupt2
    Freshman

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2008-07-17

Post by skip2myloupt2 Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Junior
    Quarter-Final #1
    Thistletown CI (57) @ Vaughan Road Academy (54) -UPSET!
    Quater-Final #2
    Silverthorn C I (43) @ Martingrove CI (46) HEARD WAS A GREAT GAME!

Senior
    Quarter-Final #1
    Weston CI (43) @ Vaughan Road Academy (60)
    Quarter-Final #2
    Silverthorn C I (44) @ Martingrove CI (68)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:09 am