HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+39
rvd1018
legend
Dwill#8
tart11
MississaugaBaller
jumpshotta
HooptownGTA
coachalkins
Dunbarton
LEBRON4MVP
rising_star_34
UnknownFORnow
Roots34
CoachW
Zen Master
Rexdale Coach
kobee14
VCforMVP
peelball
CoachImgrund
HAWK-BOY
CoachPaul
ball_2_live
BornToBall
DaFuture...
Xavier Rimrocker
franchise24
ernest
simple touch5
Peel Fan
Persistance
DatBaller15
BallinIsMyHobby12
saints11
mayne-ishu
Tila_Tequila
the_legend
panathas
Coach Clement
43 posters

Towards a Junior Super Sixteen

BornToBall
    Freshman

Number of posts : 174
    Registration date : 2008-11-15

Towards a Junior Super Sixteen - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards a Junior Super Sixteen

Post by BornToBall Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:22 pm

Dunbarton is alright styl, beat campion by 5.. and lsot to henry carr only by 6.
    Augustine, this year isnt a top team.
    D'Y isnt a top team, losing to leger by 17.
    Leger remains undefeated.
    Fletchers, cud be a top team if theyr eally wnat to, but i dont think they are right now.
    Campion, they doing aiight, i think theyll surprise ppl later in the season.
    Henry carr a.. Is THE top team.
    Vaughan definetely knocking at the door of carr.
    St Francis Xavier.. i dont think is a topt eam only beating pockck by like 5.. and from what i seen dontlook too good..
    All in all, top 3 :
    #1. Henry Carr A
    #2. Vaughan
    #3. Pickering
    ball_2_live
    Freshman

Number of posts : 47
    Registration date : 2008-10-13

Towards a Junior Super Sixteen - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards a Junior Super Sixteen

Post by ball_2_live Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:41 pm

i agree !!
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 306
    Registration date : 2008-12-07

Post by CoachPaul Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:13 pm

In case you couldn't tell by my username, I'm the coach for the Loyola Jr. Boys team this year.

Why wouldn't you have Loyola on your list? They're the ROPSSA champs from last year and were ranked #4 overall. Its a very solid team again this year. I'm not saying they're #1 or anything like that. Just wanted to know why NOBODY even has them on their list. Do you think that all of the other teams got that much better or did Loyola become that much worse?
    BornToBall
    Freshman

Post by BornToBall Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:25 pm

I forgot bout loyola.. dere undereated for sure. Loyola's top 15 for sur, i donno bout top 10, cuz i havent seen them play lately.
    simple touch5
    Freshman

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2008-07-18

Post by simple touch5 Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 pm

naw untill loyola proves anything they can't be ranked top can they? they havnt played any tourneys have not played a top team yet and from what i hear they have lose the two best players from last year both Juwan and Kayon i beleive once they play a few more good games we can decide that seems fair to me
    HAWK-BOY
    Freshman

Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by HAWK-BOY Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:30 pm

they still have nick
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2008-08-04

Post by CoachImgrund Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:32 pm

[quote="simple touch5"]Henry Carr(1)- beat vaughan, pickering ,and car b

Vaugh S.S (2)- beat Eastern, MT, Pope, Dunbarton, lost to Henry carr by two without most valuable player (cy)

Pickering(3) beat eastern, Notre Dame , Pope, lost to car a as well

Pope(4) lost to vaughan and pickering by a reasonable amount of numbers, Beat richview and West hill ( played Mt tournament without Nick Lewis)

Eastern(5)have lost to pickering, Henry Carr a, Vaughan , have beat oakwood as a top 10

Notre Dame (6) have beat Carr B, West Hill, and Dunbarton for constalation championship , they have lost to Pope and Pickering

Richview(7) have lost to Pope, D youville B team, they beat Brebuf by a fair amount of points ( seem to show a overall good balance and have lots of potential* once they change things up and make GOOD choices on the court they can be a force)

MT (8 ) - lost to Vaughan, STL, and have beaten Dunbarton and Brebeuf

Oakwood(9)- Beat Carr B lost to Eastern (has had a rough start but should get going soon)

Carr B (10)- beat D youville and have lost to Carr A Notre Dame, and Oakwood

West Hill(11)- beat D youville lost to Carr A, Notre Dame and Pope, ( need to be more consistant)

Dunbarton(12)- Have beatean Campion, have lost to Vaughan, Mt, Notre Dame ( have three critical trio with two or three role players that seem to play very well together but sometimes try to play too much one on one and damage their tempo)[/quote]

It's tough to rank some of the teams above so high, as they have not, as of YET, proven themselves.

Specifically, Richview, MT, and Dunbarton have yet to beat any legitimate top 10 teams (using the list above as a basis).

Until they do, there are other teams that have beaten or have been competitive with top 10 teams.
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 pm

I thought Loyola from Peel was a top team as well.

Coach Paul - What games has Loyola played aside from Meadowvale this season?

With Loyola possibly beig a top team, I was suprised to see that Loyola MAY be coming in to our pool at Hoop it Up... Definitely sets up an interesting first round match if that happens.
    peelball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2008-11-03

Post by peelball Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Who are the returning players from Loyola? Did there big man go to senior? Who is coaching the team this year? I heard the coach that won them the peel championship last year is not coaching the team.
    VCforMVP
    Freshman

Number of posts : 81

Post by VCforMVP Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:22 pm

I bet when Vaughan gets their most valueble player back they will beat Carr A in their own house by double digits. Very Happy
    Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:31 pm

[quote="CoachImgrund"]With Loyola possibly beig a top team, I was suprised to see that Loyola MAY be coming in to our pool at Hoop it Up...[/quote]

It would be a straight replacement for a team that dropped out. That's what we do in the Rimrocker when teams drop out with less than a week to go. Once schedules are sent and transportation is being arranged, we can't ask other coaches to rearrange their schedules to re-balance the groups on late notice. Many other tournament do that, too.
    kobee14
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 382
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by kobee14 Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:03 pm

LMAOOO

someone put campion in one of the lists LOOOL

campion is dirt
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm

I thought I just posted something, but it got lost. SO here it goes again.

My name is Paul Stauskas. The Loyola Jr. Boys weren't going to have a team this year so I stepped in. I was the assistant coach for the AAA Monarchs for the last 4 years. We've won the OBA's 3 out of the last 4 years and 1 national title. Nik was the starting point/shooting guard on that team, so don't think he's on the Loyola team because he's my son.Coach Wells Davis (previously on Monarchs and now Grass Roots) will be assisting me on some practises and games. So, I think we've got the coaching thing covered.

The loyola team has been together for only 2 weeks. We've only had 5 practises. Our first game was against Medowvale (we won 73-35). Our next game will be on Wed against Mount Carmel.

3 returning players are Nik Stauskas, Tremell Mayers and Andrews Oteng (AKA Jr.).

We have a number of new players that are quite good. I think the Loyola team is VERY GOOD. Having coached some of the best kids in Ontario over the last 4 years, I know talent when I see it. As a highschool team, they're very good.

I'm hoping to get Loyola into the Hoop-it-up tournament this weekend. I have some permissions to get ( from school and teachers), but hope to do it. I think we'll open a few eyes at this tournament.
    Rexdale Coach
    Freshman

Number of posts : 40
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by Rexdale Coach Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:48 am

[quote="CoachImgrund"]I thought Loyola from Peel was a top team as well.

Coach Paul - What games has Loyola played aside from Meadowvale this season?

With Loyola possibly beig a top team, I was suprised to see that Loyola MAY be coming in to our pool at Hoop it Up... Definitely sets up an interesting first round match if that happens.[/quote]

Coach Imgrund
    As Xavier stated the situation is not a good one when someone drops out of a tourney this late prior to. It is nothing to slight STL and place Loyola in a tough group or any type of conspiracy at all. Again as Xavier stated its not feasible or fair for me to ask other coaches to switch their bus and staffing schedules so late unless absolutely necessary. I welcome the hopeful addition of Loyola to Hoop it Up and I am anxious to see what happens as I have said is looking to be the most competitive draw we have had and we hope to continue a great 3 days of fun and basketball for these kids!

Thanks Coach Morrone
    CoachImgrund
    CoachImgrund
    Freshman

Post by CoachImgrund Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:23 am

Coach Morrone,

Perfectly understood! I think we've all run tournaments where there have been last minute drop-outs. It's just nice to actually have a team to replace the missing team. In this case, it seems like you have a great replacement team that does nothing but make the excellent field even that much more impressive. Anyway, you even have playoff wild card entries! If that's not excellent planning, tell me what is!!!

Besides, your tournament as well as Xavier's have always had great pool match-ups with a LOT of thought going in to the draw. Keep up the great work!!
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:47 am

Although I know many of the AAA teams, I don't know the makeup of many highschool teams. Can anyone give me a rundown of the teams we might face in Hoop-it-up? Is our group tough? What are our chances?
    Zen Master
    Freshman

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2008-11-30

Post by Zen Master Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:54 am

Coach Paul

Your coaching resume is impressive along with being alongside Coach Wells and The programs, but I do notice you talk about AAA Teams and the rep programs..

IMO I can't compare "Rep Programs" to High school. The High school Basketball is much more competitive than Rep. There is a different competitive drive in kids and definitely a larger scale of competition all round. The last 3 weekends of Basketball ( GL Roberts, Eastern, MT Tournaments) have been full of surprises and great games.

I seen Loyola play last year at the Hoop it Up, and that team was good, so what happen this year?

I think this year we can definitely see the change in the Top 10/15 with teams improving from last year - Example - Eastern Comm. Who i think has good talent on the team and staying strong with teams, So definitely we all can say our High School is good, But our views here are based on the games and tournaments won against each other. So Your test Hopefully you do get in will be the Hoop It up, and its a great tournament, definitely a premier Tournament

Good Luck and All the best this year

By the way, Will you be participating in the Rim Rocker? SBA Shoot Out tournament?
    CoachPaul
    Sophomore

Post by CoachPaul Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 am

Zen Master,

Whenever I post something personal, always assume I'm smiling and in a good mood. Sometimes emails can be taken out of context and sound angry because you don't see the person's face or hear the tone of voice. If anything I say ever rubs you the wrong way, believe me when I tell you that this is not my intention.

Thanks for your input. I'm not trying to compare AAA to highschool. It is comparing apples to oranges. We can agree to disagree, but I think AAA is more competitive than highschool. The problem with highschool teams is that the talent pool is limited by the kids attending the school, whereas in AAA there are many more kids to pick from. Last year's (1992) AAA Monarchs team was assembled from kids from Mississauga, Brampton and Toronto (guys like Wells Davis - best kid in CANADA no matter what position you're talking about, Theon Reefer, Renier Corft, Nik Stauskas, etc). These individuals are stars on their respective school teams and they were assembled to make what I feel was an all-star team. That team only lost to 1 team last year, won all but 1 tournament, won the OBAs and is ranked #1 in Ontario.

There is no highschool team anywhere that could compete against a team like that. IMO, Henry Car A would get blown out against that team without a doubt (I think Theon Reefer is on HC).

I will not and do not expect the same level of play out of the Loyola guys as I did from Monarchs. Like I said before, I don't expect Loyola to win every game, but I do expect us to be very competitive in every game we play.

As far as the "hoop-it-up" question goes, I'm not sure what you mean by "... so what happened this year?". Last year's coach didn't sign us up, and coming into the program late in the year I didn't know until very recently what our game/tournament situation was.

We will be in the Rim Rocker (already signed up). When is the SBA Shoot Out? Sounds good. Got any details?

You're right when you say we'll be tested at Hoop it up. Results don't lie and talk is just talk. Until Loyola has played in several games, we can only speculate on where they should be ranked. I think Loyola will do well, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks for your encouragement and best wishes. Hope to have a great season playing in a friendly and fun environment against all of you.
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am

[quote="simple touch5"]Henry Carr(1)
    Vaugh S.S (2)
    Pickering(3)
    Pope(4)
    Eastern(5)
    Notre Dame (6)
    Richview(7)
    MT (8 )
    Oakwood(9)
    Carr B (10)
    West Hill(11)
    Dunbarton(12) [/quote]

Did you forget about Peel? Xavier, Goetz, and Leger are all top-15 worthy, with Loyola and d'Youville at least worthy of HM. The only thing that hurts Peel is that they are the deepest league in the GTA so no one or two teams are able to stand out the way they can in other leagues.
    CoachW
    Freshman

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2008-12-08

Towards a Junior Super Sixteen - Page 2 Empty Cardinal Leger (Brampton)

Post by CoachW Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:25 pm

This team is pretty good, they beat D'Youville 79-61- Jarryn Skeete #24 had 31 points.
    They won the GTown tourney last weekend (Kash Lawrence MVP, Jarryn Skeete All-Star)
    They won the Axeman tournament this past weekend (Jarryn Skeete MVP, Kash Lawrence All-Star)

Some of their game hihglights are posted on You Tube. Search Jayy Skeete to find them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8gg1vCQom8
    Roots34
    Freshman

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2008-12-08

Post by Roots34 Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:09 pm

1- Henry Carr
    2- Vaughn
    3- Pickering
    4- Pope
    5- Eastern
    6- Notre Dame
    7- Mother Tereesa
    8- Oakwood
    9- Henry Carr B
    10- Dunbarton

*Dunabrton lost to Carr A by 5.
    UnknownFORnow
    Freshman

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-10-16

Post by UnknownFORnow Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:40 pm

so then why would you put them last? richview should be up there... lost to pope by 2... and pope is ranked 4th in your opinion.
    BornToBall
    Freshman

Post by BornToBall Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:56 pm

Richview is better than Dunbarton!! .. i don't mean to talk craap or anything, but if Dunbarton is a top team, Junior isnt that good..I dont mean to talk craap, but from what i seen i don't think dunbarton is worthy of a top team.
    rising_star_34
    Freshman

Number of posts : 100
    Registration date : 2008-11-12

Post by rising_star_34 Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:47 pm

the thing with Dunbarton is that they will show up one game against carr a and then the next game get slaped by 40 against notre dame
    LEBRON4MVP
    Freshman

Number of posts : 16
    Registration date : 2008-11-21

Post by LEBRON4MVP Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:11 pm

thats the problem with the jr. level

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:21 am