HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+57
giovannicapone
knowthegame
coachhopps
york3man
Yung-Melo
spl4sh
AwetV
kidlebron23
MackJ
RealTalksz
CoachImgrund
pickeringbasketball
greenlight
COACHV
Public Enemy #1
elevator
2hot2handlez
CP3
HoodProspect
whatupdawg
minihotsauce
General Fan
i love ball
UnitedBaller
bballfan
gator01
eastern#1
Keeps
steve.nash1
panathas
Coach Clement
Xavier Rimrocker
D1!
millerlite
BAisdoodoo
WaterBadgers
stevelogan92
dunkthat1
balla032
southballer_15
Skillz21
geno23
chosen1
bronbron23
TorontoBasketball
sba123
coachblue
BoomSUS
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
hoopsCanada
Peel Fan
tb11
Tila_Tequila
futurebigtimecoach
jt
rerun
Ryerson Rams Basketball
61 posters

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 5 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:03 pm

gator: just b/c i didn't know does not mean it didn't happen...just got back from montreal...

i am involved in peel all-star game tryouts on tuesday and thursday so i can find out how the team was selected...

roy has a lot of pull, having known him for a few years, but not so much pull that he would dictate which players are on each team...and if roy was calling the shots he probably would want michael down there since he has to replace boris...

never had a chance to play..injured then worked full time...16 years coaching, with a degree in coaching, and masters in coaching from a us school nearly finished...

bcss coach played at the university level and was an all-star for years...

i know coach gray (was his next door neighbour for years)...not sure if we have a player like matthew wright (or duane notice whose dad of course is a peel tier 2 coach) here in peel...

again no doubt we can get better...but you cannot compare picking an all star team with coaching at ofsaa...and attacking coaches still will do you no favours

who rated michael #10 in the province? not that he isn't but who? not sure how well mike's game translates to all star game...more of a guard's game...big guys do not get a lot of touches in those games..that was the experience he had last year

Last edited by coachblue on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 5 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm

i agree tulloch should be there...but he always goes missing for these things...he should have been at cp...his rep club coaches there and he didn't show...not sure how much dedication he has to the game at this point but to be honest i think he has the most talent in peel...(note: i didn't say best player in peel--i said most talent)
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Gator01,

You have no right to be bashing the coaches who put in countless hours every year so students can atleast have a team.

Say you were right the selection of Paul was wrong and Michael Glasic should have made the team. Who else exactly wasn't picked to make you so bitter? One mistake and you categorize every coach in Peel as being bad. Shame on you!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Tulloch is not better than Chris Anderson, Tychon Carter, or Michael Selkridge!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:20 pm

If Peel has terrible coaches then the better teams must win based on their talent. That would mean the top schools should send the most reps.

Just looking at the situation based on Gator01 POV
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:22 pm

oh boy...

i agree those 3 are better players but talent wise only chris has the same talent as daniel...

selkridge's offensive game is limited...he is a tremendous defensive presence and extremely active on the glass but does struggle with the ball on the low block and his wing skills need work

tychon is extremely athletic and a great defender and finisher on the break, but at 6-3, 6-4 needs to develop a better offensive wing game...no offense to the other campion guys but with jordan and jayden having the ball so much not sure about his opportunity to handle the rock in a scoring situation from the perimeter...

tulloch is a legit 6-5 who can play on the wing...and in grade 11...should play team ontario quite frankly...

of course not considering grades, would love to have all four at york!!!!!! hahaha

(ps. saw tychon behind the windsor bench at nationals)
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:27 pm

wow, I just came back from Florida, so thats why I haven't responded, not that I am hidding.

to clarify: coach blue thanks for the kind words, i played at u of t, but i was never an all star at the university level. i was a toronto select all star in the high school level.

PEEL ALL STARS for top 20 and top 40 game which is going to be held on April 8th. The process works in the following way. I email the coaches all of the details. They are allowed to nominate 3 players to try out. We hold two regional tryouts and then call back the top 60 on a Saturday, then we pick 40 guys. Last year we had 30 coaches place a ballot. All I do is accumulate the number of votes players have and they make the all star games. Now, out of 54 senior teams in peel this year, 35 have nominated players, 4 teams did not want to nominate anyone, and 15 teams have not emailed me back. On top of the fact that 15 schools have failed to email me last year there were about 20 students who didn't even attend tryouts even though they were nominated, so in the end the coaches are going to pick the students that attend the tryouts. These are not open tryouts. If you do not get nominated by your coach you cannot tryout. So if you haven't heard when the tryouts are its either because your coach did not nominate you or because your coach did not give you the details, bottom line is talk to your coach. This is my second year doing this and the first year went pretty well, you can try to pretend that coaches pick their own guys but bottom line is last year we had 30 coaches place ballots and the results are pretty obvious.

BATTLE OF THE BOARDS
    I am not the kind of person to hide anything, so I am going to tell you how this team was picked and all of the circumstances behind it. Ryerson contacted me to organize the Peel all star team that is going to play on March 24. I knew this was going to be a problem because our tryouts for the April 8 top 20/40 games are scheduled for March 23 and 25. So how do we pick a team? We decided that we were going to pick the team from the teams that participated in the Sheridan cup. We came up with 22 names and then we tried to come to a consensus. The only exception was Bikram Gill, who is a top 5 player in peel. Now the coaches picked Paul Williams, I did not push for him to be included. but in his defense I think he is the best shot blocker in peel and he is tough to beat in the paint. Is Michael Grasic better then him? possibly but Paul will be playing at Sheridan next year. and alot of colleges have contacted me about him. When Ryerson contacted us, I could forsee people complaining about how this team was picked, but we wanted to support this event, and it was not logistically possible to hold tryouts before the March break. I could tell you that the only name that wasn't a consensus was Andrew Howell-Stephenson, from my school. I think Andrew is one of the top 12 players in Peel and I wanted him to be included, Andrew was a top 20 selection last year as a grade 11,was a top 40 selection at the All-Canada camp. Paul was chosen by the other coaches.

Gator1 I hope I answered all of your questions, but quite frankly you sound bitter about something. To say that the dy coach sucks is ridiculous. Here is a coach that took the girls and boys to OFSAA in the same year. Anyways, if you have any more questions then let me know, I have nothing to hide.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Hey CoachBlue, that's interesting Duane Notice's dad is a Peel Coach? What school he coach at? Is he a community coach or a teacher?

I gots to be honest Peel has so much talent and they never produce at ofsaa, so at one point we might just have to start looking at the coaching. Like everyone knows Campion team was a joke this year in terms of coaching. I dont think they even had an offense to run. The only "smart" thing coach did was get them to avoid DY in Ropsaa semis to make it to ofssaa.

Coachblue with all of your experience what you doing at a school like Applewood (no offence, but lets fact it that school is never going to be good at basketball, just look at the area around it, not a ball area). Come down to a top Brampton or Malton program to do some damage.

Also, whats up with the trouble DY had in Oshawa. Was it something big that they might have been distracted against St. Mikes. It might all make sense now, because DY actually beat St. Mikes in semis of All ONtario Cup by almost 15 points, so I was shocked to see them lose to them at Ofsaa. Also HB Beal beat St. Mikes in first round of ofsaa and DY beat HB Beal by 20+ points at Mother Teresa tournament.
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Keeps
    Freshman

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-01-02

Post by Keeps Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Keep in mind this is the first year this event is running gator1 and I am sure the people you are ripping will have a more transparent system in place next year. Also, give the Peel coaches credit especially panthas for putting together the Peel all-star game where I am sure scouts will have an opportunity to take a look at the top 40 players. Not sure that happens in other regions. Point being the guys you feel have been slighted will have an opportunity to show what they can do April 8th.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:31 pm

hey gator01, next year, you organize the gym time, invite the players, organize how to run the tryouts, decide which volunteer coaches are going to want to help you, and run the event.

i am open for suggestions.
    how would you have picked the team? and if you are about to say hold a tryout, then make sure you give me the details about which gym you are using. as well, open tryout means you can have 200 kids attend. so how long are the tryouts? 2hours? well if you have 200 kids then how much court time is each kid going to get? and what coaches are going to volunteer their time to pick your team? remember that our peel tryouts are allready occuring on march 23, 25 and 27 so coaches are going to allready help during these times. do you expect these same coaches to come to your tryout as well? and what about if the big names aren't able to make your one tryout, then do you include them anyway? this event is on march 24, so when are you going to hold your tryout? do you think coaches are going to allow their star players attend your tryout during a play-off run? when was ofsaa held? are you going to hold tryouts in the middle of march break? what if the players are playing in tournaments in the US and which coaches are going to want to attend during march break?

you keep mentioning other players.

the only possible argument you have is that Michael Grasic should be on this team instead of Paul Williams, and I have answered that concern.

you are making it sound like this whole team is invalid. well, who else would you pull off this team and repace him with who?

remember that I have seen 90% of tier I teams play this season. I have also seen the top 2 tier II teams play from this past season so I know what kind of talent exists in peel.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:47 pm

well, the timing of this event was horrible for us. We had to pick a team some way and this was the best option for us. We did not want to just come up with 12 names. 10 of the 16 tier I play-off teams where at the Sheridan cup.

I am serious when I say we are open for suggestions, I can only try to improve for next year.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:02 am

sorry panathas...but you were pretty good at u of t as well

gator: in one breath you tell me i am a lowly tier 2 coach and in the next you feel i should be involved...the coaches involved have great credentials as well...a lot of us do not simply coach at your school, we usually coach outside the school as well (d-y's coach coached in the elite development program for years before me and bcss coach was part of the central jdp team last summer)

yes duane's dad is a teacher and coach at heart lake...also involved in cp last year

andrew is deserving to be on the team...he is a next level talent...

jt: i'm a teacher first at applewood and a coach second...we all are...that is why i am involved in so many high level programs outside applewood...to challenge myself...i love coaching at applewood and i am not pretending we will be tier 1 contenders on a regular basis but as long as the boys and girls work hard and they realize what they put in is what they get out of it then it is what it is....big part of the reason i'm coaching at york next year...besides you never know what the future holds...maybe someday i'll come up to b=town to cause some trouble for zoff and sanjay

yes it was a major problem that i hope those young men will learn from...d-y clearly did not play to the best of their ability and i feel this issue distracted them from doing so

in any all star situation there are players who can/will be missed..i'm sure we missed players last year...this is the first year for this event and it was not possible to have tryouts before march break (ofsaa was from the 8-10) and obviously difficult to do this week...gator: suggestions and productive crticism will help make these processes better but flat out hating on volunteer coaches trying to organize this is not cool...

tulloch and grasic are not missing that much...i'm very sure scouts do not put much stock in all-star game performances...keeps makes a good point in that they will most likely be seen at peel all-star event anyways..but scouts/coaches want real game tape and real game situations (like elite development/team ontario/club ball) to evaluate players anyways...

gator: panathas makes great points in his last post that addresses most of your points...for sure if roy's event becomes an annual thing then we can be better prepared next year....
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:12 am

"...besides you never know what the future holds...maybe someday i'll come up to b=town to cause some trouble for zoff and sanjay"

On the real there is a new school opening up this year on Bramalea north of Sandalwood and its right in the area that feeds into DYs boundaries. I am sure you could go there and start something up. Imagine that a brand new school, with a brand new program, you could start that from scratch. You want a challenge I think that would be a great challenge. Not to mention the area has enough ballers to choose from.

What you say to that?
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:28 am

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 am

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:04 am

gator01 your post history reveals that you are contradicting yourself. In numerous posts last year you called me a great coach and dy a school that every kid should go to play basketball at.

I hope you are a student and not an adult.
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:16 am

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:13 am

If YOU want to coach so bad in Peel go to university and get a honours degree with a second teachable. Then apply to teachers college. Apply through the public board and then the catholic board go through their interview processes. Once you pass that you can coach. Then you can stop hiding behind a discussion board alias. Then we can evaluate how you perform as a coach.

I also would like to hear your Peel All Star team. Name the 12 players who you would have selected?
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 am

I am not in the game of making fun of students, but since you said that you are a community coach, then I am going to assume you are an adult. You don't sound educated and I think that's the reason why teams don't want you to lead their teenagers. You might be doing this on purpose though to get a reaction, but all you are saying is how horrible Peel is, with no facts. Good luck at whatever you do.

For the record, no community coach has volunteered to help coach at Brampton Centennial. Where did I say that I don't support community coaches in schools? One of the best coaches in Peel is a community coach at St Augustine, I'd be lucky if anyone like that volunteered to help at Brampton Centennial.

Last edited by panathas on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 am

jt: you never know man...but i live in oakville so something closer perhaps????

gator: pointless having a discussion with you b/c you are not really speaking from facts and just talking foolishness...like i said i am willing to have the discussion but not when you resort to childish commentary...

facts: i welcome community coaches into our program and have had two community coach assistants in the four years i have coached at applewood...unfortunately no volunteers this year so by myself

facts: i am a teacher first at applewood and a coach second...i dont coach recreationally at applewood...the kids take it as recreation...besides one or two guys, they are not very serious about basketball...i coach high level programs outside the school..already said this...i coach rep (blues, wolverines, sultans) and aau and elite and cp and university...would love to coach at a "basketball school" but i love teaching at applewood

you did not mention where you coach so i can analyze your success rate or criticize your coaching performance...i would be happy to let you come here and put on a clinic for my boys or girls since your coaching is so much more superior...we could use the help...

as far as i am concerned, this discussion is pointless when you have nothing productive to add...
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:15 am

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am

Your full of it.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:25 am

I think you have a beef with someone in Peel and are just throwing insults left, right and center.

It sounds like you need to take this converasation to another thread and respect what this thread is about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:33 am