HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+57
giovannicapone
knowthegame
coachhopps
york3man
Yung-Melo
spl4sh
AwetV
kidlebron23
MackJ
RealTalksz
CoachImgrund
pickeringbasketball
greenlight
COACHV
Public Enemy #1
elevator
2hot2handlez
CP3
HoodProspect
whatupdawg
minihotsauce
General Fan
i love ball
UnitedBaller
bballfan
gator01
eastern#1
Keeps
steve.nash1
panathas
Coach Clement
Xavier Rimrocker
D1!
millerlite
BAisdoodoo
WaterBadgers
stevelogan92
dunkthat1
balla032
southballer_15
Skillz21
geno23
chosen1
bronbron23
TorontoBasketball
sba123
coachblue
BoomSUS
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
hoopsCanada
Peel Fan
tb11
Tila_Tequila
futurebigtimecoach
jt
rerun
Ryerson Rams Basketball
61 posters

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 8 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by gator01 Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:30 pm

I never talked $hit about the peel players and the talent I was talking $hit about peel coaching and the selection process which i still think was not done properly. But tonight after watching the game I must give respect to Paul Williams and the depth of peel basketball. Tulloch and glasic both have the talent to be on that team and they weren't but the other players just dominated. It was crazy to see how there was no drop off when Peel subbed. The Peel all star game is going to be a great game to watch. I have no idea how DY and Campion could not medal at OFSSAA. DY lost to a one man St. Mikes team and DY had two players on this team and they have a lot of other talent on thei team. Do not want bring it up again but there has to something up with coaching in Peel since they have all this talent but no medals.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 8 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:01 am

Talent hides coaching ability.

Peel has the talent as a league; Yes.

But when you compare the talent of a team from Peel and a team from other top schools there is no comparison.

You cannot base the coaching ability in Peel based on the performance at OFSAA. 2 teams get to go to OFSAA from Peel out of 30+ AAAA schools.

For example, Coach Tucci from Mount Carmel can coach with the best of them. I am not boosting look at the past 10 years of Mount Carmels Junior team. They have never been past the first round of the playoffs or have missed the playoffs completly. Now go look at the past 10 years of Senior basketball at Mount Carmel. They have missed the playoffs once in 10 years and field a competetive team every year within Peel. When I played there in 2003 we were ranked 6th in the GTA by the Toronto Star and 8th by HoopTownGTA. Coach Tucci is coaching the exact same players that play Junior basketball at Mount Carmel. They recieve NO transfers from anywhere for basketball.

Tell me he isnt a good coach and doesnt get the most out of the players he coaches. This year, Chris Anderson was the only true basketball player on that team. He started 4 football players who dont take basketball serious because that is what he has to work with. They earned 2nd overall ranking in Peel in the play offs and probably were the 3rd best team in Peel overall.

Coach Tucci is not the only good coach in Peel there are many others who coach and get the most out of their players and thats what a good coach does. ie. coachblue. Coaching success in high school shouldnt be measured based on the hardware you bring home. Coaches in highschool are paid to teach not to coach.

The purpose of my small essay here is that the coaching in Peel is there so lay off a bit.
    jt
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 333
    Registration date : 2010-01-09

Post by jt Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 am

"Also heard that Manny Sahota had a Highlight of the game And 1 baseline dunk on Mickyle McIntosh."

Yah that was probably highlight of the game, you should have seen how strong manny took it to him. He even got banged real hard on it, but still managed to put it in somehow and he scored the AND 1 point too. Funny thing was it was right infront of these durham fans who kept talking sh!t. to ref the entire game and that shut them up real nice.

"Saw the peel game and I must apologize for all the $hit I talked about Paul Williams."

I didn't even know about this guy until tonite either, but man did he make his mark. Coach Panthas, what is Paul doing for next year?

"If Peel put up 120+ points and the high scorer had 19. Then the scoring was balanced throughout the whole team."

Yeah nuff respect goes out to those sauga guards from xavier, mississauga secondary and carmel, manz were being generals on the court. Being a B town guy, I never really see sauga guys play but yeah they held it down. I always hype up B town, but it felt good seing sauga and b town together repping PEEL, all the players were joking around too and had tons of chemistry.

Got to give big ups to Bikram Gill too who I think probably had the most complete game as a player on the team. Anyone know what he is doing next year?
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:33 am

Peel was really impressive in their match up against the Durham team..it was no contest! Peel was far superior. The Toronto Public Team was impressive as well. After watching both games, I would have enjoyed watching those two teams match up against each other. That would be a fantastic and entertaining game.

On a side note, Bikram Gill and Manny Sahota played really strong games for Peel...I've never seen neither of them play, but, they didn't disappoint. However, Daniel Mullings was in my opinion the best player out there after taking in all the games. Kevin Pangos was strong in the York-Halton game too!
    hoopsCanada
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2010-01-12

Post by hoopsCanada Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 am

top 10 in order anyone??? .... battle of the boards???....Jt seems like u were at the game ...???
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:43 am

Daniel Mullings-Laurier-Toronto Public(MVP)
    Stefan Nastic-Thornhill- York Region
    Hassan Abdullahi-Pope John II-Toronto Catholic
    Bakrim Gill-Assumption-Peel Region
    Kevin Pangos-Denison-York Region
    Jordan Catrell-Holy Trinity-Halton Region
    Andrew Howell-Stephenson-BCSS-Peel Region
    Julian Clarke-Oakwood-Toronto Public
    Mikyle McIntosh-Pickering-Durham Region
    Mussa Mohammad-Jarvis-Toronto Public

*Matt Blaha-Loyola-Halton Region(22 points)
    *Adika McNeilly-MT-Toronto Catholic
    *Manny Sahota-DY-Peel Region
    *Aaron Redpath-J Clarke-Durham Region
    *Kevon Parchment-West Hill-Toronto Public

*honourable mention
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 am

gator: you came to see the game and you did not say hi????

same ol...Peel is the deepest league in the GTA...if these players were concentrated on 2-3 teams then you would see definite OFSAA success...

knowthegame: interesting list...you saw all three games?
    knowthegame
    knowthegame
    Senior

Number of posts : 1123
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by knowthegame Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 am

Yes, I actually took in all three. The first game was a very controlled game, good flown lots of X's and O's for an all star game but good performance by both York and Halton Regions.
    Game 2-Peel vs Durham was very run and gun, lots of athleticsm, high intensity. Became a little one sided after awhile and very scrappy. Ok game though.
    Game 3 the finale, the battle of the T Dot(Public vs Catholic)was entertaining. Almost a combination of the two previous battles, with both energy, some structure, kids came out to have fun, put on a show...that kinda vibe. The best game overall in my opinion out of the 3.
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2008-08-09

Post by panathas Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:16 am

It was a great event and thanks to Ryerson for organizing. Hopefully next year it becomes a tournament format, but that's easy for me to say.

What was the result of the final game?
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am

gator01:

I always thought you were a normal guy and just pretending to be some weirdo insulting people. I understand that you are probably a community coach who is not able to coach in the schools at the moment. Even though that is very unfortunate and frustrating for you don't take it personally. Schools have a lot of redtape/rules/restrictions that they have to deal with. You can't imagine how many times I hear the word liability within a school. You might think teacher-coaches have free reign within a school to coach and develop their programs anyway they see fit but that is not the case. Every school is different, and a basketball coach is just another teacher that happens to coach basketball and is "liable" for students.

So in the case of a community coach, you got to see it from a teacher's perspective. As a teacher, in order to bring you in to coach I need principal permission. This means that I need to vouche for you, and tell the principal that I know you as a person (not a basketball coach). Now, what happens if a community coach that I vouched for comes into the school and acts in a manner that the school finds inappropriate. Well, I'll be in the principal's office answering questions and I would have lost all credibility with my boss.

I hope this helps you to clearify your thoughts.
    Public Enemy #1
    Freshman

Registration date : 2009-06-10

Post by Public Enemy #1 Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:13 am

x

Last edited by Public Enemy #1 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:57 am

Great post Public Enemy #1
    Public Enemy #1
    Freshman

Post by Public Enemy #1 Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:09 pm

x

Last edited by Public Enemy #1 on Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:45 pm

panathas could have gloated or said "I told you so" in the light of a strong showing by Peel but he showed his class by refraining from such behaviour.

Instead he turns the other cheek.

Not only is he a first-class coach but more importantly he is also a first-class human being! cheers
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm

panathas: public in a rout...close game until mid-3rd...

thanks public enemy...

for the record, i'm not hating on gator..i think beneath some of his frustration, there are valid concerns that i would love to address with him...but hard to do that when you are insulting people...

coach clement: right on...of course we could say the same about you!!!
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:11 pm

now if only i could figure out how not to lose by 50 to the north this year in the peel all-star game...

think i need to review my syracuse zone dvds...haha
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:08 pm

[quote="coachblue"]gator: you came to see the game and you did not say hi????

same ol...Peel is the deepest league in the GTA...if these players were concentrated on 2-3 teams then you would see definite OFSAA success...

knowthegame: interesting list...you saw all three games?[/quote]

i dont get it.....why are u even talking about them being concentrated on 2-3 teams? didnt you say you are the deepest league and have 30+ AAAA schools.......you cant have ur cake and eat it too, would u rather be a deep league or a league with concentrated talent??

which league are u saying has all their talent concentrated on 2-3 teams ? if any region id say durham i guess but even thats a bit of a leap
    panathas
    panathas
    Senior

Post by panathas Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks coach clement.

I think for the promotion of the high school game in the GTA when issues arise we need to talk about it rather then pretend we are not listening or just insult people.

I'd love to see a discussion forum only for coaches where everyone can sign in and be comfortable revealing their identity as well as talking about issues and the promotion of the high school game.

Coach Blue I think the south might be stronger this year. Shoot... I'll probably hear about this tonight. Friendly rivalries of course.
    giovannicapone
    Freshman

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2010-02-24

Post by giovannicapone Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Can someone post gator01's comment? What did he say?

Also in terms of community Coaches, there are other things you have to do such as get police record checks, some even have to get the TB skin test done and letters of reference...and meanwhile, the Teacher is babysitting and watching their own back while supervising young people and this other adult!

Like people have been saying, there are a lot of Gems and great people, but it's hard to manage all of that stuff! A buddy of mine told me that at a school's athletic banquet, the 'community coach' thanked the Teacher for being his 'assistant' and helping out so greatly in his capacity as a 'head coach'!!!!

Can you imagine that!?!?! Meanwhile, the kids were in shock let alone the Teacher who must have been a bit embarrased! The kids always saw the Teacher as the 'Head Coach' and the community coach as a 'friendly helper' who came once in a while (maybe 1 out of every 3 practices/games!).

Personally, I don't think a Teacher would make that mistake!

But don't get me wrong... volunteers are great and they are NEEDED. I'm not knocking anyone for helping - they hopefully have the best of intentions.

bow wow wow!

GC
    Coach Mike
    Freshman

Number of posts : 219
    Registration date : 2008-11-24

Post by Coach Mike Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 pm

As a volunteer coach at a high school and for a rep team, I really felt compelled to write something in here about my experiences.

Yes as a volunteer I am not employed by the school or the school board. I have to obtain a police check every year, as well as have meetings with my AD and the school's administration on a regular basis. I am not allowed to see grades, attendance or behavior reports on any of my players. While I am coaching and teaching basketball to my players, in many cases the teacher who supervises me, is sitting at a desk marking work or preparing for their classes on that day or the next day. I am at the school every morning to run practices and early on game days to either prepare our gym for the game (sweep the floor, get score clocks and game sheets ready, set up the bleachers, etc) and for away games, I am at the school early to get my players dismissed and ensure that they all have their bus tickets and leave the school as a group. I am also the first person at the school we are travelling to supervise my players in the other school and enforcing any rules that the school may have.

So for those of you who think that as a community coach we are not as a qualified and don't work as hard, think again. I am sure there are community coaches who do walk in for practices and games only and leave once they are done, but by my experience with community coaches, we are in the schools we coach at as much as we can possibly be. One must also remember, that all of us have jobs/careers outside of the school that we have to get to, along with any other family, school or other commitments we may have.

Please do not paint us all with the same brush, there are those of us who take a lot of pride in the work that we do with our players and care a lot about the students that we deal with on a daily basis. Just because we are not teachers does not mean that we are not pushing our players to be good students and do well academically. It does not mean that we are not teaching our players other 'life' lessons that they might not fully learn in the classroom. Sure we have the advantage of teaching these lessons with sport, but we are still teaching it.
    gator01
    Freshman

Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Coach blue and panathas I apologize fir some if the harsh words I used and that is why I have erased all my previous post. I was frustrated I asked so many times to help coach a very good team this year and I was turned down all the time. Panathas thank you for the clarification about what a teacher must do the coach I approached was very cold and did not give the time of day. Regarding picking of the peel team I still feel that the coaches could have done a better job of giving some other players a chance to show if the could make the team. Like everyone is saying peel is very deep. But everyone must admit peel has done nothing in ofssaa. Look at goetz the had Andrew roach bros and tindale they never won. Dy had kamesh manny Vic kamran peter they never got medal. So to say peel has only a few players on teams is false peel for some reason dies nit do well in ofssaa.
    Blue and panathas keep doing what you guys are doing with all the time you give but please remember if a community coach that knows his ball ask to help give them a chance.
    giovannicapone
    Freshman

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2010-02-24

Post by giovannicapone Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Coach Mike,

Like I said...volunteers are NEEDED!

Community Coaches are valuable...keep doing your thing. I've worked with Community Coaches and have had amazing experiences. In fact, I've never had an issue.

peaceout...enjoy the madness tonight!!!!!

GC...and oh yeah...bow wow wow...
    coachhopps
    Freshman

Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by coachhopps Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:06 pm

I would have to agree with Coach Mike please do not paint us with the same brush as some of the community coaches that you speak so low about. I have been a community coach for about 10 years coaching a variety of levels both boys and girls and I take great pride in the fact that my student athletes are STUDENTS first. I may not be able to see their grades, attendance records or anything that a teacher at the school has access to but I make it very aware that if one of my student athletes is not being a proper student (attending class, being on time, participating in class, doing their homework, maintaining a good gpa) a teacher at the school can call me, email me or talk to our AD to let me know what is going on. I have suspended players from playing for an entire year because of their lack of focus in the classroom. Those players came to practice but did their homework instead.

As unfortunate as this may sound there are schools in the GTA and around the province that depend on us community coaches, without us, many programs would no longer be there. At my school, if Coach Mike and myself were not there to run the basketball program the school would not have a basketball program ... We provide our student athletes a place to learn life skills, what it takes to succeed and we teach it through basketball ... so in a way we are just as much of a ‘teacher’ as the ones that have that title.

I may not be a teacher but I have the best interests of the kids at heart ... when they succeed, I succeed when they fail, I fail..

Coach Hopkins
    Public Enemy #1
    Freshman

Post by Public Enemy #1 Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:20 pm

x

Last edited by Public Enemy #1 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Post by stevelogan92 Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:14 pm

[quote="gator01"]. Look at goetz the had Andrew roach bros and tindale they never won. Dy had kamesh manny Vic kamran peter they never got medal. So to say peel has only a few players on teams is false peel for some reason dies nit do well in ofssaa.
    [/quote]

You cannot compare Kulig and Zoff. Zoff is a far superior coach then Kulig.

That Goetz team from 2003-2005 might have had ONE of the best Peel teams in its history. Kulig was able to do nothing with that team in 5 trips to OFSAA. Very disapointing.

Last years D'Youville team did under achieve with a #3 OFSAA ranking. But there should be no bashing D'Youville this year and what Zoff has done with D'Y. Let us not forget that D'Y had their top 7 of 8 players leave this year for various reasons. Outside of Manny did any of the players from this years team even get playnig time the year b4?Ill admit I thought D'Youville was going to be no where close in the discusions of Peels best. Winning Peel and repeating as champions after such a huge exodus of players speaks for Zoffs coaching ability.

Some coaches who lose an abundance of talent like D'Y did would hit the highway.

Last edited by stevelogan92 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:58 pm