HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+57
giovannicapone
knowthegame
coachhopps
york3man
Yung-Melo
spl4sh
AwetV
kidlebron23
MackJ
RealTalksz
CoachImgrund
pickeringbasketball
greenlight
COACHV
Public Enemy #1
elevator
2hot2handlez
CP3
HoodProspect
whatupdawg
minihotsauce
General Fan
i love ball
UnitedBaller
bballfan
gator01
eastern#1
Keeps
steve.nash1
panathas
Coach Clement
Xavier Rimrocker
D1!
millerlite
BAisdoodoo
WaterBadgers
stevelogan92
dunkthat1
balla032
southballer_15
Skillz21
geno23
chosen1
bronbron23
TorontoBasketball
sba123
coachblue
BoomSUS
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
hoopsCanada
Peel Fan
tb11
Tila_Tequila
futurebigtimecoach
jt
rerun
Ryerson Rams Basketball
61 posters

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 4 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by Peel Fan Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:04 pm

bballfan wrote:Well at least that was one good step taken by notifying all the coaches of the tryouts...

I guess the next step would be to ensure that if players from the bulk of other schools did not show up to the tryouts then follow-ups should be done to balance the schools....

That's quite typical of the mentality of too many people today: Why should I make the effort; someone else should make it convenient for me. The info was out there; it was up to the interested players to take the necessary steps to attend.

No one should hold their hand through this process; especially considering that most of the players are 17 or 18 and about to move on to the world of post-secondary education or full time employment.
    bballfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 4 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by bballfan Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Who is talking about hand holding, not making effort??... It is the same thing happening with scouting lists, etc.... Same group of players and/or same top schools (not saying those players do not deserve to be there but I am sure there are other schools with good players)...

No one is saying it needs to convenient for everyone but come on 3 schools have talented players in the whole region?????? More effort needs to be made to pull from other schools.... BTW the rules on the 1st post said only 3 players are to be select per school and they selected 4. Would like to know why the exception?

If you posted the rest of my quote it did mention that tryout times and game time may not be convenient for everyone ... obviously some will be left out!!!
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:39 pm

In response to General Fan's post.

These teams were selected through a try-out process. The All Star game is a representation of the best talent in various Regions. If schools were aloud to only send 1 player to be a member of the team the quality of the All Star games/tournament would decline tremendously.

Lets be honest, top teams are top teams because they have the better players. On Peel's Roster specifically you cannot argue one player being unjustly picked. That is Peels best regardless of school. If the other talent Peel, which attend lesser known schools, want to showcase themselves they should speak to their coach and ask to be have their name submitted for the Peel Allstar game. Peel selects 40 players as All Stars (which I think is ridiculous).
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:52 pm

why ridiculous? not a nba all-star format...more to celebrate our talent..top 40 game and top 20 game is reasonable...
    NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 338
    Registration date : 2009-10-31

Post by NEVAQUITNEVALOSE Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:54 pm

i love ball wrote:is that list even representative of TDCAA's best players? it is EXTREMELY concentrated
    I agree surely Michael Power has 1 or 2 good players since they were good enough to beat Carr (10+). Brebeuf also has a solid kid that I saw, and didn't Woodcock transfer out of Carr to another school in TDCAA?
    Tila_Tequila
    Freshman

Number of posts : 280
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by Tila_Tequila Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 am

He transferred to Arch Bishop Romero
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:23 am

[quote="coachblue"]why ridiculous? not a nba all-star format...more to celebrate our talent..top 40 game and top 20 game is reasonable...[/quote]

I think 40 All Stars is a lot in my opinion. I have my reasons why I think so but I wont go into them because its off topic. Just my opinion.

I would rather see a Top 20 game senior with a Top 20 game junior.
    minihotsauce
    Freshman

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2008-11-02

Post by minihotsauce Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:36 am

That team was just all planned out like come on theres other players on the Westside:
    Shaq Woodcock(Romero)
    Shay Nedd(Power)
    Seth Evershed(Power)
    Raphi Tekkie(Redmond)
    Yarko Prots(Redmond)
    Logan Marrast(Chaminade)
    Gabriel Ababio(Don Bosco)
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:22 am

junior-senior idea is ok...i see the peel event as more of a showcase, especially for players who may not get their shine during the year...
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:57 am

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:57 am

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:14 pm

bow wow wow...realz talkz...peelzfanz wher u atz...bow wow wow!
    HoodProspect
    Freshman

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2009-10-13

Post by HoodProspect Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Who is on the Toronto Public Team and when will it be finalize i have not heard nothing about them
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Gator01!

You've made some broad sweeping generalizations. I'm sure that there are good coaches in the Peel region. I'm also sure that there are plenty of Peel coaches who have never visited this site. Finally, the selection of the Peel team for this one game basketball event is something totally different than preparing a team to challenge for and win an Ofsaa title.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:56 pm

gator: your opinion re paul and michael is still an opinion, same like whoever selected paul over michael felt he was more suited for this game in their opinion...michael was on the south top 20 team i coached last year and i think he is a good player...pretty sure i already said this.,..you are making a big deal out of something that is not a big deal (unless you are michael's agent)..no clue about the tryout, i'm not involved

comparing all-star team to ofsaa is odd...one has nothing to do with the other...

you are entitled to your opinion re peel coaching..cannot argue that we need to do better at ofsaa..not sure about your correlation re being on this site and coaching success...i find this site useful in terms of discussion and information...you dont really know me and i do not need to prove anything to someone throwing potshots on a discussion board but i'm sure if you ask the cp guys or my mdp guys from last year or the sultans girls or my scarborough guys they can tell you what kind of coach i am...

applewood is not one of the worst teams in peel...we are tier 2, we make playoffs, we do what we do with what we have...our guys do not take basketball seriously enough, it is more recreational...if we show some dedication over the summer starting with our camp at st bonaventure we should be better next year but you are obviously misinformed if you believe we are one of the worst teams in peel...

a lot of grade 11s on that bcss team...i did not think they were top 15 in gta this year but they will have the opportunity for that next year...d-y did have issues off the court in oshawa that may have distracted them on the court

honestly man you sound bitter...i don't mind criticism but at least come correct with facts and not crazy opinions/statements like "peel coaches suck"...
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CP3
    Freshman

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2008-09-18

Post by CP3 Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Whats goin on with York they havnt had tryouts or anything ......
    2hot2handlez
    Freshman

Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post by 2hot2handlez Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:47 pm

hey coach blue, how did these players get selected like by random selection or was there a tryout cause like if it was a selection that would be so biased considering other potential players who have not been seen play.

ALSO, they should film this, big event and some people can't make it like myself and I wanna see :S
    elevator
    Freshman

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2009-12-01

Post by elevator Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Does anybod have all 4 teams rosters offical rosters. They should be in by now considering the games start on Wednesday
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:07 pm

gator: told you i'm not involved with this all star team...no clue how they picked the team...i agree that if there was no tryout results are not as valid but your point re paul and michael still has little weight...coaches in this situation are going to pick the best players but also guys with whom they are comfortable...

again facts please...you have no clue what the off court issue was...definitely not coach related

facts...my school has less than 900 kids...yes we are tier 2 and take no shame in competing at a level that is appropriate for our team...as mentioned before coaching at applewood is not professional, more recreational, we do the best we can with what we have

facts...i am involved with 5 programs right now including centre for performance (canada basketball), mdp (elite development), sultan (top 5 in province) and york university, and working on a masters in coaching...already had practice this morning...on the site to talk ball, same like you, while i'm planning practice for mdp in may...doesn't sound like you're working on your game, gator

people in ball know me...you are an anonymous person spouting nonsense

again you sound bitter, you sound like someone who got cut by one of these guys...potshots about coaches not productive...no one disputing peel coaches can get better including myself..just like peel players should be getting better..just like you bringing something productive to this conversation...
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:09 pm

gator: no problem talking peel ball with you if you're coming down to ryerson...i'm definitely willing to listen if you're willing to bring something productive, more than just "peel coaches suck"
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Coach Blue, anyone who knows even a little bit about Peel basketball knows how much you give back to the game and to the region. While I respect your attempts to educate the ignorant, you certainly don't need to justify yourself to someone having the message board equivalent of an extended temper tantrum. It reminds me of my grandchildren.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Post by coachblue Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm

you are right, peel fan (thanks), tho my offers still stands gator..if you wanna talk peel ball and you have ideas to help us get better i am willing to listen..i will be at ryerson...
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:36 pm

yorkz regionz....iz gessinz....stefan....pangos....vlad....dinjil...isit...bos...darnel....justin...afta datz...????...bow wow wow!
    gator01
    Freshman

Post by gator01 Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:04 am