HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+57
giovannicapone
knowthegame
coachhopps
york3man
Yung-Melo
spl4sh
AwetV
kidlebron23
MackJ
RealTalksz
CoachImgrund
pickeringbasketball
greenlight
COACHV
Public Enemy #1
elevator
2hot2handlez
CP3
HoodProspect
whatupdawg
minihotsauce
General Fan
i love ball
UnitedBaller
bballfan
gator01
eastern#1
Keeps
steve.nash1
panathas
Coach Clement
Xavier Rimrocker
D1!
millerlite
BAisdoodoo
WaterBadgers
stevelogan92
dunkthat1
balla032
southballer_15
Skillz21
geno23
chosen1
bronbron23
TorontoBasketball
sba123
coachblue
BoomSUS
NEVAQUITNEVALOSE
hoopsCanada
Peel Fan
tb11
Tila_Tequila
futurebigtimecoach
jt
rerun
Ryerson Rams Basketball
61 posters

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Xavier Rimrocker
    Xavier Rimrocker
    All-Star

Number of posts : 2073
    Registration date : 2008-07-26

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 3 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by Xavier Rimrocker Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Coach, I might have to come by on Saturday and nag you about the point Peel Fan raised.

Team West? Wink
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 3 Empty Re: Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University

Post by steve.nash1 Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Aren't the Peel playoffs still happening??? Is that jr??? What is happening in Peel?

Why couldn't they play in the jr GTA?? Everything is backward in the WEST SIDE. lol!
    Ryerson Rams Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by Ryerson Rams Basketball Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Battle of the Boards
    Team Roster -Peel 2010

Bikram Gill, Ascencion, 12, F
    Paul Williams, Brampton Centennial, 12r, C
    Jamal Pryce, St Francis Xavier, 12, PG
    Jamar Ford, St Francis Xavier, 12r, F
    Chris Anderson. Mt Carmel. 12r, F
    Manny Sahota, d'Youville, 12r, F
    Peter Boateng, d"Youville, 12r, F
    Tychon Carter, Campion, 12r, F
    Michael Selkridge, Notre Dame, 12r, F
    Jahmal Jones, Mississauga, 12r, PG
    Jordan Clennon, Campion, 12r, PG
    Andrew Howell-Stephenson, Brampton Centennial, 12, G

Coaches:
    Gagan Seron, St Francis Xavier
    Louis Pahis, Brampton Centennial
    Carlo Zoffranieri, d'Youville
    Dave Tucci, St Francis Xavier
    Keeps
    Freshman

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2010-01-02

Post by Keeps Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Peel missed K. Lawrence from Leger. That kid gets after it.
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Kashrell is a tremendous player..but 12 were picked...cant really argue with these selections...
    rerun
    Senior

Number of posts : 958
    Registration date : 2008-07-25

Post by rerun Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:30 pm

Peel or should I say "Team West" is no joke....they've already conducted tryouts and selected their team!!! Durham is waiting until after the break to pick their team.
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Peel looking strong. Great choices. No argument from me.

Really like the selection of Jamar Forde. He got no recognition this year but he can play with the best of them.
    eastern#1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Post by eastern#1 Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:04 am

When should the teams get selected by? Is there a time-line? The only team it appears to be selected is Peel. What is wrong with selecting the team after March Break rerun?
    hoopsCanada
    Freshman

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2010-01-12

Post by hoopsCanada Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:12 am

starting line-up for peel/team west???
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 am

Eastern #1

I didn't say anything was wrong. You are definitely misinterpreting what I wrote. There is nothing wrong with selecting the team after March Break considering that many of the players from Durham were involved in the OFSAA Championships. I was just more surprised that Team West (Peel) had done so already. Team West and Durham are playing against each other so I was looking at it from that point....nothing more...nothing less!
    BAisdoodoo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

Post by BAisdoodoo Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Team West should be good with all their 12R's!
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Hopefully, they go by the name Coach Rana posted: Team Peel.
    gator01
    Freshman

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2008-10-27

Post by gator01 Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Last edited by gator01 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stevelogan92
    Senior

Number of posts : 1276
    Registration date : 2008-09-01

Post by stevelogan92 Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 pm

There was a try out I believe on Saturday. Paul Williams is probably the only questionable pick. But if there was a tryout Im confident that those four coaches picked him because he outworked the competition.

Whats this talk about Michael Glasic. If hes the tall caucasian guy on Gonzaga then he isnt very impresive. Devon Bailey on Mount Carmel took him to school when they played head to head.

Picking your own guys happens on every level. Remember when Flip Saunders picked 4 Pistons on the NBA team.

Xavier - Jamal Pryce, Jamar Forde
    BCSS- Paul Williams, Andrew Howell-Stephenspon
    D'Youville - Manny Sahota , Peter Boateng

How exactly where these guys picked unjustly and how does it reflect Canadian Basketball?
    coachblue
    coachblue
    Senior

Number of posts : 1043
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by coachblue Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 pm

gator: your last comment was a little confusing, considering there was a tryout and the coaches selected who they wanted on the team...that happens with every team...michael is a good player but i do not believe it was a slam dunk considering the players involved....
    Ryerson Rams Basketball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by Ryerson Rams Basketball Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:34 pm

2010 TDCAA - Battle of the Boards Roster

1. Aaron McGowan, PG, Pope John Paul II
    2. Adika Peter-McNeilly, SG, Mother Teresa
    3. Ancil Martin, F, Mother Teresa
    4. Hassan Abdullahi, F, Pope John Paul II
    5. Jahmal Grennan, F, Fr Henry Carr
    6. Keyon Stephenson, PF, Mother Teresa
    7. Nathaniel Elliott, F, Fr Henry Carr
    8. Raheem Isaac, SG, Fr Henry Carr
    9. Richie Kanza, PG, Mother Teresa
    10. Shane Reader, PG, Fr Henry Carr
    11. Shaquille Chan-Singh, SG, Pope John Paul II
    12. Shakele Osborne, PF,Jean Vanier

Coaches:
    Richard Gallacher, Mother Teresa
    Steve Gazmin, Pope John Paul II
    Paul Melnik, Fr Henry Carr
    bballfan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 45
    Registration date : 2008-08-23

Post by bballfan Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I thought there could only be 3 players from one school???? Henry Carr and Mother Teresa has 4 players??!!!
    UnitedBaller
    UnitedBaller
    Freshman

Number of posts : 104
    Registration date : 2009-09-15

Post by UnitedBaller Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm

This Tournament Is Going To Be Good.? Any Predictions..?
    i love ball
    Freshman

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

Post by i love ball Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 pm

is that list even representative of TDCAA's best players? it is EXTREMELY concentrated
    rerun
    Senior

Post by rerun Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 pm

True! On the original posting for the Ryerson Battle of the Boards Event it clearly states that NO team can have more than 3 athletes/players from any one high school. They can let go one MT player and One Carr player and grab two guys from Jean Vanier and you got 3 players from MT, Henry CARR, Pope John, and of course Vanier...lol...problem solved!
    Peel Fan
    Peel Fan
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 580
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Peel Fan Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:59 pm

gator01 wrote:Look at the peel roster and you can see that the coaches from bcss and Xavier picked their players. How is Paul Williams from bcss on the team over Micheal glasic. How was this team picked and was there a try out. Just like our national program coaches pick their own guys. Why we suck compared to the US.[justify]

Oh get over yourself. Xavier was a final four team, one point and some very questionable calls away from a berth in the Peel final so I would hardly say they are over-represented. Unlike the experts in the HoootownGTA peanut gallery, the coaches made their picks based on more than reputations. Considering the fact that you think Glasic should be on the team over Williams, we can be happy that you didn't pick the team.
    bballfan
    Freshman

Post by bballfan Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Is it really necessary to have 3 - 4 players from only three schools representing a region? Do the coaches selecting or advertising the tryouts even contact all the schools in their region? Why does it always have to be the same players from the same top schools?

This would be a great opportunity to chose good players who are not on top school teams to be recognized who play against these "top" schools. I am not sure if it is done but why don't they call all the schools in the region (at least tier 1) ask the coach to select 1 or 2 players from their team to come to a tryout and then pick from this pool. I know it may be subject to some biases but it would be a start...

While you do need the hype of the players from top schools there are a lot of top talent not recognized because they are not on a top school team or do not have the opportunity to play in the top tournaments but carry their teams with limited talent.

I will be really interested to see what TDSB team will look like... tons of talent on a lot of teams.....
    General Fan
    Freshman

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-03-20

Battle of the Boards! by Ryerson University - Page 3 Empty ryerson

Post by General Fan Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Honestly I am just a observer of high school basketball and I am 6 years removed from HS. However I must agree that the 2 rosters that were posted Peel and TDCAA seem a bit too "major" school specific. I find it hard to believe that their isnt a player or two that goes to a school that does not have a good record but is still in the top 12 basketball players in teh region. I do believe it is a problem and the coaches taht constantly post on this forum Coach Clement, Coach Rana, "Xavier Coach" should look into because it is a bit discouraging. Especially the TDCAA roster that one looks a bit ridiculous.
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:01 pm

bballfan wrote:Is it really necessary to have 3 - 4 players from only three schools representing a region? Do the coaches selecting or advertising the tryouts even contact all the schools in their region? Why does it always have to be the same players from the same top schools?

This would be a great opportunity to chose good players who are not on top school teams to be recognized who play against these "top" schools. I am not sure if it is done but why don't they call all the schools in the region (at least tier 1) ask the coach to select 1 or 2 players from their team to come to a tryout and then pick from this pool. I know it may be subject to some biases but it would be a start...

While you do need the hype of the players from top schools there are a lot of top talent not recognized because they are not on a top school team or do not have the opportunity to play in the top tournaments but carry their teams with limited talent.

I will be really interested to see what TDSB team will look like... tons of talent on a lot of teams.....

I did not attend the tryout but I do know that all of the coaches in the TDCAA were notified about the time and place of the tryout a week in advance.
    bballfan
    Freshman

Post by bballfan Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Well at least that was one good step taken by notifying all the coaches of the tryouts...

I guess the next step would be to ensure that if players from the bulk of other schools did not show up to the tryouts then follow-ups should be done to balance the schools.... I realize there could be issues of availability for the tryouts or the game itself....

Just would like to see more effort done to get "other" players from "other" schools... I can't believe the talent is concentrated to just a few schools....

The coaches made their decision for whatever reasons. I can agree to disagree!!! Very Happy

Overall, I think Battle of the Boards is a great concept....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:47 pm