HooptownGTA Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HooptownGTA Forums

The Greater Toronto Area High School Basketball Forums

+42
osyp
TheNews
kingjames23
Coach Bob
Air Jordans
steve.nash1
scarx
laszlo
Yonge
tb11
LockDownDefender
THESCOUT
OneTimeVisitor
BAisdoodoo
Scarbro
Coach Clement
rvd1018
LEFTBENCH
whatupdawg
TorontoBasketball
Respect
Bballoutrageous
DatBaller15
mummie334
hoopster
BallinIsMyHobby12
rising_star_34
RealBall
we.not.me
DG-10
wcbasketball
AllAroundPlayer
Tila_Tequila
Coach Mike
kiddddo
loveball
Tango
stevelogan92
EYE OF A TIGER
bonez07
Conkkid
Coach Philippe
46 posters

West Hill Warriors Basketball 2008-09

BAisdoodoo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 89
    Registration date : 2009-01-26

West Hill Warriors Basketball 2008-09 - Page 7 Empty Re: West Hill Warriors Basketball 2008-09

Post by BAisdoodoo Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 am

he's done ..he's running ..ain't going to stay there and get whoop! ...damn he got whoop this year!
    laszlo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

West Hill Warriors Basketball 2008-09 - Page 7 Empty Re: West Hill Warriors Basketball 2008-09

Post by laszlo Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:55 pm

west hill won today by 20 points or so.
    they advance to aaaa ofsaa.
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 562
    Registration date : 2009-01-07

Post by Respect Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Congrats Warriors. Good Luck at Ofssa & hopefully you'll have your full team at full strength!
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by Coach Philippe Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Game #35- West Hill vs. Silverthorn
    (OFSAA Backdoor Play-In)

Final Score:

West Hill- 75
    Silverthorn- 54

Leading Scorers:

West Hill- Adrian Tomlinson (30pts, 8asts, 4rbs), Alex Arthur (23pts, 7rbs, 6asts), Taylor Johnston (13pts)

Silverthorn- Milos Boroucenin (18pts), Matthew Ovoumere (8pts)

Recap:

Getting another shot at qualifying for OFSAA, the team got a great boost with the return of Taylor Johnston. Playing solid team defence and pushing the tempo, the Warriors got back on track with a win over Silverthorn at West Toronto.

Down the stretch of the season, the team has come together and gelled as a unit. With Taylor back and Michael Knight coming back on Wednesday, we are now clicking on all cylinders heading into OFSAA and are excited and appreciative of the opportunity!

The team's overall record is 28-7 and the next game will be 4A OFSAA next week in Windsor with the opponent to be determined based on seeding.

Thank you to everyone who've reached out and shown support for the Warriors throughout the season! I'm proud of our team, happy for our seniors and thankful for the chance to extend our season and compete for a medal at OFSAA....
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 am

To reply the discussion about Adrian Tomlinson, yes he is a very special player..

His North-South, East-West quickness with the ball is phenomenal and he brings an explosive quickness that not may players possess..

What he doesn't have in size he makes up for in heart and toughness. Very gritty, determined and talented. (also if you check his stats he is very well rounded and usually contributes with rbs, asts, stls as well as pts...)

As far as his chances at the NCAA D1 level, all NCAA Coaches that have seen him and talked to me about him say that he is a High Level D1 PG talent/athleticism wise. Due to course selection, he'll have to go the JUCO route, but as long as he continues to develop/improve and takes care of his academics, he will have a bright future...

He along with Alex Arthur, Taylor Johnston and Devaughn Williams have been solid for us all year. Now with our Grade 11's no longer rookies due to their experience throughout the season and their improved confidence and aggressiveness, it will make us a team to be reckoned with at OFSAA. I am very proud of our team's development...

Thanks again to everyone for your support and GO WARRIORS!!
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am

The Final Seedings for OFSAA 2009 Have been released today!

West Hill has officially received a #5 seed and will be matched up Monday vs. the #17 seeded Nantyr Shores (Innisfil) at 11:45am @ Holy Names in Windsor...

I am very happy that OFSAA has seen fit to give us a #5 seed as I thought there was an outside chance they might drop us to a #6 or #7...

An interesting twist is our 2nd round game (if we win) would be against the loser of the #2 seed Pickering vs. #11 seed Glebe (Ottawa) (my alma mater/old H.S.)!

Very exciting opportunity for the West Hill Warriors and we are going to do our best to represent the Toronto East and TDSSAA and make all our supporters, friends and family proud!

GO WARRIORS for 4A OFSAA 2009!!!!!!

(ps. If anyone has a scouting report on Nantyr Shores or Glebe please post or e-mail to nbphilippe@hotmail.com, thanks...)
    Coach Clement
    Coach Clement
    Hall Of Fame

Number of posts : 5295
    Registration date : 2008-07-09

Post by Coach Clement Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:47 am

I like your positioning in the draw.

I see you as having a good shot at the Final Four and a possible medal!
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks for the support Coach Bob,

I agree that the draw is fair and gives us a shot if we play to our full potential and execute our game plans.

Every game will be tough, and the atmosphere will be electric, but West Hill, MT, Pickering and Eastern all have solid draws and are in position to represent Toronto well....

(I sent you an e-mail on a different topic...thanks...)
    BAisdoodoo
    Freshman

Post by BAisdoodoo Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 pm

If the guards play big you can win some games ...good luck West Hill!
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:28 pm

Good luck at Ofsaa coach. Too bad this year's Ofsaa is in Windsor, many of your fans won't be there to physically support you & the Warriors, but we'll be there in spirit & we'll look forward to your udates on this site. God loves the Warriors!
    DG-10
    Freshman

Number of posts : 80
    Registration date : 2008-09-05

Post by DG-10 Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 pm

^What a square...
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:35 am

^ Your pathetic attempt at humour only serves to reveal your immaturity. If you have a problem with a West Hill fan wishing his team well, then go elsewhere and wish your team well. If you have a problem with God, then you have larger issues. If you have a problem with me, then get lost, because you don't know me. Either way, take your negativity elsewhere!
    osyp
    Freshman

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2009-03-06

Post by osyp Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 am

Coach Philippe........ Nantyr Shores won the 4A title for the GBSSA area. It was a competitive league of 8 4A teams from Barrie, Alliston, and Collingwood. I only saw them play once but will offer my views:

They are very athletic. They have a few kids over 6'5 and use a very deep bench. In the playoff semi final that I saw they actually ran two 5 man units for the first half at least. Although basketball in our small town, rural areas is not what it is in Southern Ontario the rep ball programs are beginning to make a difference with regard to player development. Not everyone is playing hockey!! My point is, Nantyr has some good players with good basketball skills, and a lot of less experienced players who are very athletic.

While I don't think they will make it all the way, I would really like to see them win at least one game and garner some respect for our area. I can't pass on any secrets that would help you in your game, as I think you have the advantage already!!, I do pass on my best wishes to you and your team, and thank you for your efforts on this board as well.
    BAisdoodoo
    Freshman

Post by BAisdoodoo Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:08 am

GET 'EM Nantyr!!!!!!!!
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:32 pm

4A OFSAA 2009 Summary:

Game #36- West Hill vs. Nantyr Shores (Innesfil)
    (OFSAA Opening Round)

Final Score:

West Hill- 69
    Nantyr Shores- 55

Leading Scorers:

West Hill- Adrian Tomlinson (42pts, 5asts, 8stls), Alex Arthur (13pts, 6rbs)

Nantyr Shores- Jelane Pryce (19pts), Zack Fernandez (13pts)

Game #37- West Hill vs. Glebe (Ottawa)
    (OFSAA 2nd Round)

Final Score:

West Hill- 70
    Glebe- 60

Leading Scorers:

West Hill- Adrian Tomlinson (27pts, 7asts, 6rbs), Devaughn Williams (19pts, 8asts), Alex Arthur (13pts, 8rbs)

Glebe- Jerome Thomas (18pts), Mac Simpson (13pts)

Game #38- West Hill vs. Notre Dame (Welland)
    (OFSAA Quarter-Finals)

Final Score:

West Hill- 52
    ND (Welland)- 60

Leading Scorers:

West Hill- Adrian Tomlinson (22pts, 5asts, 4stls), Alex Arthur (17pts, 11rbs)

ND (Welland)- Anto Raie (16pts), Jonathon Mataya (12pts)

Recap:

The 2009 OFSAA 4A Championships in Windsor has come to an end, as does the season for West Hill. We had a great season that I am extremely proud of, and we made ourselves and our school proud! With an opening round victory over the GBSSA Champion Nantyr Shores and 2nd round victory over a tough NCSSAA Champion Glebe Collegiate, the Warriors made an OFSAA run to be remembered by our kids...

On a personal note, the game vs. Glebe (my old H.S.) was very special, and I took time out to speak to their team after the game. They were extremely tough competitors and they ran into an extremely difficult draw with Pickering in the 1st round and West Hill in the 2nd.

Versus Notre Dame (Welland) we ran into the SOSSA Champions that played extremely tough defensively and got strong post play and rebounding from 6'9 Anto Raic and 6'7 Jonathon Mataya. We could not convert open jumpers and got some extremely difficult calls that lead to Adrian Tomlinson fouling out in the 3rd Quarter.

The team's overall record finishes off at 30-8 and I would sincerely like thank our players, my phenomenal Assistant Elliot Kirshenbaum, and the administration at West Hill for giving me this opportunity! It's been a great season, and I've been PROUD to be associated with such a courageous and determined team!

To our seniors; Adrian Tomlinson, Alex Arthur, Devaughn Williams, Taylor Johnston, Ismail Patel and Eldridge Masuka, I sincerely wish you guys all the best next year and beyond wherever destiny takes you! GO WARRIORS!!
    Respect
    Respect
    Sophomore

Post by Respect Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Coach Philippe, thank you for a great season & for taking time out of your busy schedule to consistantly update us. Have a great off season & good luck next year!
    Isura
    Freshman

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2009-03-08

Post by Isura Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks for the thread coach.

Watched Adrian Tomlinson for the first time. He reminds me of Dwight Lauder who played for Central Tech about 8 years ago. Adrian seems to be a bit of a headcase though. Hopefully he figures it out before it's too late.
    steve.nash1
    Freshman

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2009-01-11

Post by steve.nash1 Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:45 pm

There are more than 1 head case on that team.....more than the players.....nuff repsect

BA 2010 sr champs
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm

I have already let my players and West Hill Administration know, but to advise the Warriors supporters, I will not be back next year.

This has been a fantastic season, and I appreciate everyone's support this year. I am very proud of the team's accomplishments, and there will always be a special place in my heart for West Hill and this year's team!

Next year, I will be Coaching at the North American Academy (NAA) in Erie, Pennsylvania as the Head Coach of the Varsity Team. The Press release has been sent out to media earlier today and there will be more details to come.

Again, I appreciate the support of West Hill alumni, players, administration and the Toronto Basketball family for all the love and support this year.

I will always have the West Hill Warriors in my heart!

As I told my players, this decision is not an easy one, but the reality is that I do believe Coaches deserve to be paid for their work, and retention of top Coaches long term would be easier if that were the case.

Thanks again for the support, and GO WARRIORS!
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:42 pm

BOW WOW WOW....i told ya so....not surprizd at all...Burk ya betta find anotha program quik time...dis coach waz flop...selfish...only took d job becuz of d big 3...adrian, taylor, alex...now dere gon...so hez gon...he had a privat agenda...mak $$$????....what abowt d program....wat abowt d kidz...coachz hav not been paid 4 yearz in Tdot....he was jus anotha gun 4 hir....lookin 4 a boost on d kidz backz....EXPOZED BIG TIME....bow wow wow
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Whatupdawg, you are entitled to your opinion.

I'd like to clarify something that I posted on another topic a few weeks ago. That discussion was about the difference between basketball in Canada vs. the U.S.

What I wrote then, I will re-iterate now; in the U.S. basketball is taken seriously by players, coaches, schools and society as a whole and due to this there is an infrastructure built up to support it. Coaches are paid well for their time and service, and schools have solid budgets set up for travel, tournaments, equipment etc.

As I said in that post, how can you expect an employee at McDonald's or Wendy's to be paid, but for Canada's Coaches to work countless hours on a volunteer basis?

There is nothing selfish about a Coach volunteering hours upon hours of his time to plan and run practices, Coach games, plan travel and tournaments, make calls to College Coaches, deal with media etc.

I am a product of Canadian basketball as a high school player at Glebe Collegiate (where I had 3 Coaches in 3 years, none of which helped me with recruiting or exposure), University player at UPEI and SMU where I could not receive a full athletic scholarship, and Coach for 3 teams this year without any compensation.

Coaches at top level high schools in the U.S. make salaries of $100K+ for doing the same job as Canadian Coaches who receive nothing.

I LOVE West Hill, and Canadian basketball as a whole, and if I was able to put food on the table without any income, I would continue to do so. Unfortunately, if I choose Coaching as a Full-Time career, it is impossible to do without being able to pay the bills.

I took the job at West Hill because of it's storied basketball tradition, and I hoped to stay long term and build a program (ie. Pickering, MT or Eastern), but unfortunately I do have a mortgage and bills to pay and realized that with the time that Coaching consumes, it would be difficult to continue to do Real Estate on the side.

As I said, I will always have West Hill in my heart, and I am very proud of what I and the team were able to accomplish this year! (ie. 30-8 season, and Quarter-Finalists at 2009 4A OFSAA, the 1st OFSAA appearance for West Hill in 3 years, along with helping my players develop and making calls/sending DVD's so they can get to the next level...)

I hope everyone reading this realizes that I would truly LOVE to make a living at being a Full-Time Coach IN CANADA (the Country where I was born, raised and became the man I am today in...) However with careful, and sometimes painful reflection, I realized that the only way I could make a living being a F/T Coach was to move down south or to be a CIS Head Coach (which will take a few years to get to, but maybe if that opportunity arises I could come back...)

I love Canadian Basketball, I love West Hill and I will always represent Canada, all my Coaches and all my players wherever I go! I will never forget where I came from and those who helped me along the way!

As I've said before, let's spread love, not hate.
    caddykid5
    caddykid5
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 505
    Registration date : 2008-07-21

Post by caddykid5 Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 pm

whatupdawg bowwowwowwowwow
    I can barely understand you!
    LOL
    whatupdawg
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-01-12

Post by whatupdawg Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:12 pm

lik i sayz......man iz now EXPOZD....itz all abowt d benjaminz $$$..bow wow wow!
    Akz...coach maydo, raina, melnik, galager, clement, etc.....what dey tinkz...
    no dizrespct to d abov....dere actionz speak LOWD!!
    Coach Philippe
    Freshman

Post by Coach Philippe Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:23 am

[quote="Coach Philippe"]

As I said in that post, how can you expect an employee at McDonald's or Wendy's to be paid, but for Canada's Coaches to work countless hours on a volunteer basis?

There is nothing selfish about a Coach volunteering hours upon hours of his time to plan and run practices, Coach games, plan travel and tournaments, make calls to College Coaches, deal with media etc.

....As I've said before, let's spread love, not hate.[/quote]

Whatupdawg, as you can see from what I wrote above, my point of view is clear, and I have mentioned it on this board numerous times. Let me spell it out for you clearly one more time: "I BELIEVE CANADIAN COACHES DESERVE TO BE PAID FOR THEIR WORK". That includes the excellent Coaches that you mentioned (Coach Maydo, Rana, Melnik, Gallacher etc.) all of whom I respect a great deal! (just to clarify for you though, they are all teachers, so at least they are paid as teachers...I'm a Real Estate Agent..)

From your posts, you sound like a Junior player at West Hill that is concerned with the future of the program. That is fine, because I care about the future of the program also. I spoke with my Assistant, Elliot Kirshenbaum, the players and the Administration to make it clear if they don't have an internal candidate (teacher) to coach next year, I would help to find another outside Coach (ie. Volunteer Community Coach)...

I worked very hard this year to re-sculpt the team and build it into a contender. This was the first time West Hill made it to OFSAA in 3 years, and with a 30-8 record, I am proud of what OUR team was able to do. I want West Hill to continue to succeed and as I said "I will always have West Hill in my heart"...

Let's make this understood, no one who volunteers 1000's of hours over months/years and Coaches 3 teams in 2008-09 for $0.00 is about MONEY, do the math, that's about LOVE... No

Last edited by Coach Philippe on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    laszlo
    Freshman

Number of posts : 87
    Registration date : 2008-09-03

Post by laszlo Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:32 am

coach philippe,

i wouldn't even respond to such non-sense.
    a waste of your time.
    plus all the haters want is a reaction.

your a great coach. keep it up.
    good luck in the future.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 am